Author Topic: Honesty, why is it so uncommon?  (Read 3025 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Honesty, why is it so uncommon?
« on: February 14, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
So I just got done spending ~$1700 at home depot for a bunch of stuff for a 4 pled I am doing a rental turn over on.  I am putting the stuff in my truck when I notice a $2 item still in the cart and not bagged up.  So naturally I check the receipt, sure enough  I did not pay for it.   So I walk back in and go back too the pro counter and tell them what happened  and pay for the item.  Every one there is shocked that I would do such a thing.  Are people  really that dishonest these day?

I should note this  was an hd  that almost never  go in as it is ways from me.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

Re: Honesty, why is it so uncommon?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
Nice...

I do that quite often myself.  No matter the value, it’s not mine, gotta make it right!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1436
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »
To thine own self be true.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
I've done that too, and yes, I believe honesty is uncommon these days. Why? Because most people will do a lot of dishonest things if they think they'll get away with them.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »
Just did it the other day (and have many times in the past) for a <$2 item, even though this store has overcharged us in the past, we still go back in and pay.
And we often get a "thank you" along with a look of bewilderment as to why we'd bother to come back in and pay for a $2 item that slipped through the cracks.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:03:34 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:05:37 PM »
Some years back, a guy I worked with found a bank envelope in the lot of a market with a bank inside.  It contained $600 plus in cash.  Rather than go back into the bank and find out who may have cashed or withdrew that exact amount, which I'm sure the bank could ascertain, he pocketed the cash on a "finders keepers" mentality and bragged about finding it...  When I asked him what his wife (who I knew) thought about that, he said that she had no problem with what he'd done.

Two people who's parents should be slapped about IMHO!  Thankfully, these two people cannot reproduce...

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
Some years ago, my mother, who used to keep her cash in and envelope from the last mail she opened, dropped that envelope with $1,500.  And she had no idea where.

Few days laster a police officer showed up at the door with all the cash and the story about what happened.

She dropped the envelope in the parking lot of a grocery store and it was spotted by a 16 year old kid who was working part time as a bagger.  He took it to his manager who called the city police to report the find.  The officer who took the envelope noted it had a Dr.s return address and that the envelope was numbered.

He went to the Dr.s office and they were able to identify who the envelope was sent to by that number. 

Kid got $150 reward and if Karma works should still be having good things happen.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »
Just did it the other day (and have many times in the past) for a <$2 item, even though this store has overcharged us in the past, we still go back in and pay.
And we often get a "thank you" along with a look of bewilderment as to why we'd bother to come back in and pay for a $2 item that slipped through the cracks.

I remember being overcharged once and the store refused to give me what they owed me. If they would have given me something I didn't pay for after that, I think I would have kept it, unless it was more than what they owed me. I never got a chance to find out.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 10:40:23 AM »
I was at a local market a few months back and took $50 over in cash.  I grabbed the receipt and left the $50 sticking outta the self checkout.

I called when I realized my loss and they had my cash at the service desk.  When I picked it up later, the clerk pointed out an employee, a young black woman who’d turned it in, so I went over, thanked her and slipped her a ten spot for her honesty...

Surprised her a bit!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 12:14:49 PM »
Virtue is its own reward, but a finder's fee is nice too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk