Author Topic: Remington Filing For Chapter 11  (Read 1772 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Remington Filing For Chapter 11
« on: February 13, 2018, 06:11:50 AM »
Dang.  Must everything change?  Remington is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2018/02/13/gunmaker-remington-to-file-for-bankruptcy.html

I guess it was bound to happen after the boom years of Obama and the Cerberus Captial Management purchase.  The article blames it on a company gun being used at Sandy Hook which is hooey.  This type of thing is often from management taking too short term a view of business.

I suspect the underlying cause was too much debt and growth to meet demand when guns were flying off the shelf everywhere.  That and they had Bushmaster which probably cost them a ton more than what should have been paid...and we all know how black rifle sales are going these days.  Not unlike the oil business when oil price shoots up to "the stratosphere" and too much is paid for an oil company or an oil company tries to develop based on high prices....I've seen that over the last 40 years or so. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Remington Filing For Chapter 11
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:33:39 AM »
Remington can still pull out of this. But it will take Cerberus Capitol Management being willing to sell at a loss to their investors. That's hard to do without people dumping Freedom Group stock all together. Which will drive them into an even deeper hole. Remington's problem is not it's products, but rather it's baggage. Both financial and legal. Law suits and payouts over the Walker and X-Pro Trigger systems have drained them financially over the years. And all the while most all of the owners including DuPont, took from the company, and added nothing to it in regards to modernization of equipment. All the while that was taking place overpaid union employees were milking them dry.

Add it all up and the old gal has nothing left to give. If they get sold cheap enough to a company with enough venture capital to invest in it, and at the same time be willing to be patient enough before seeing a return on their investment, they could turn the company around. But they also need better marketing. In that they need to stick with proven products that have sold well over the years. And stop with the cheap, non 1911 pistols, and other loser products that no one is currently buying, or is ever going to buy. And of course the, "Trump gun glut" isn't helping anyone in the firearms business. Sales of all the major gun manufacturers is way off, compared to what it's been for the last 8 years living under fear of increased legislation that no longer exists.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
All the while that was taking place overpaid union employees were milking them dry.

How much were they making?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »
Report I heard on radio combined drop in sales last fiscal year and costs associated with the lawsuit concerning Sandy Hook and potential payout in that case.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk