Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 180646 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #360 on: October 17, 2018, 10:12:23 PM »
I like General Tso, but I like sesame even better. I worked up a killer recipe that is good on about any form of chicken.

I'm listening.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #361 on: October 18, 2018, 12:33:25 PM »

Sesame Sauce

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/8 cup white vinegar
2 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs sesame oil
1 Tsp chili paste (sub chili sauce)
1 clove minced garlic

Directions:
In a saucepan, mix together sugar and cornstarch.
Stir in chicken broth, water, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili paste, and garlic.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly (so the sugar doesn't scorch).
Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

This is a very versatile sauce. It can be used as a dipping sauce or can be poured over chicken or pork dishes or used as a slow cooker sauce with chicken or pork.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #362 on: October 18, 2018, 05:59:49 PM »
That sesame sauce sounds good.

I had an Ancho BBQ Burger and a margarita for breakfast at my favorite burger joint. Yes, breakfast. I still haven't tried any of their daiquiris. I like the margaritas too much to have a daiquiri instead. I wish I could have margaritas with breakfast every day. Lunch and dinner too. The Ancho BBQ Burger had Two Certified Angus Beef Patties, Cheddar Cheese, Ancho BBQ Sauce, Bacon, Fried Onion Straws, Lettuce and Tomato, on a Toasted Brioche Bun. The margarita was served in the same kind of glass they use for shakes and soft drinks. Not too big but still not bad. I'm way overdue for lunch which I'm about to scrape together now.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: October 19, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »
Fish sticks with spicy chipotle organic mayo. I thought it sounded good but I'm disappointed. I think they use chipotle mayo on the cod sandwiches they sometimes have at the burger place. It should be good on pollack fillet fish sticks too. I'll get some pickles out of the fridge to with it and maybe that will be better.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: October 24, 2018, 09:28:54 PM »
Nothing today except an all you can eat family style chicken dinner with all the fixin's at the Bavarian Inn, in Frankenmuth. It's about frickin' time! My mom and I were supposed to go October 1st but she wouldn't answer her phone all day. Or several other days we were supposed to go. Next is a little chocolate birthday cake. For some reason the covered bridge by the south entrance was closed.

Here's what Wikipedia says about the bridge. Zehnder's Holzbrücke (German for wooden bridge) is a wooden covered bridge, built in a style similar to that of the Black Forest or a river valley in Switzerland, located over the Cass River in the middle of town. Though completed in 1979, the structure is constructed using traditional covered-bridge timber framing techniques. The floor joists and three-span Town lattice truss system of the 239' bridge are made of 15,960 board feet of four inch planks. The portion receiving the greatest wear is of oak while the remaining portion is spruce. 20,000 board feet of Douglas Fir make up the rafters and the roof is shingled with cedar. An additional 4,340 board feet of pine was required for the bridge side boards. In addition to two lanes for automobile traffic, the bridge also has two pedestrian walkways.

If you look up covered bridges at Wikipedia there's a picture of it that I cut down to 25% to fit here. BTW, the Town's lattice bridge was patented in 1820 by Ithiel Town, an American architect and civil engineer.

Sponsor

« Reply #365 on: Today at 06:52:11 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: October 25, 2018, 04:03:35 AM »
Cinnamon swirl raisin bread. After toasting bread that had 11 slices per pound, it took a few tries to set the toaster right for bread that has 16 slices per pound. Then I switched to another 11 slice per pound loaf, then back again, but I knew where to set it. I bought one of these and got one free, plus I got $1 off the one that I bought. So I paid for 2/3-3/4 of a loaf, but got 2. 8) That day I paid $72 for my groceries and saved $82 so I did pretty good. 53% off. I'm not getting rebates on any of it, but still one of my better hauls.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: October 30, 2018, 01:41:35 AM »
It's been a long day with nothing to eat but an all you can eat family-style chicken dinner with all the fixin's at Zehnder's of Frankenmuth. My stupid spell-checker thought I meant Tenderizer's of Frankenstein. ??? What the spell? I'm not sure I want to know what that means. My mom and I were in the Heritage Room with the Terrace on the the other side of the wall behind me. We've also eaten in the Original Room before. It was built in 1856 and it's tiny. They had to add a lot of room to feed almost a million people every year. One year they served more meals than any other non-chain restaurant in the country. The owner's brother across the street does pretty well at the Bavarian Inn too.

After shopping around in the bakery we stopped to watch a guy making long skinny loaves of bread. The dough came off a conveyor shaped like a sausage about a foot long. He grabbed it and stretched it by hand, flipped it over end for end to let its momentum stretch it more, and put it in a French bread pan. It was really cool watching him flip it over and catch the ends. He kept doing that until he filled one pan, put it up on a rack and filled up another pan, stretching and flipping each piece of dough, and repeated. My mom would have stayed there watching if I didn't tell her it was time to go. After we got back to her house she told me she was out of bread and needed to go to the store. Too bad she didn't tell me when we were shopping in the bakery. I brought home our leftover garlic toast made from those long skinny loaves of bread, and Cheddar cheese spread. I finally remembered to take a pill so I can eat it now and go to bed.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #367 on: October 30, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
I baked a cheesecake yesterday. It was too late in the evening when I was done to be able to try it because it had to chill for four hours. I tried it today and man is it good. It had been 20 years since I'd made one from scratch.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: October 30, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
I hate you Peg. Naw, I'm only jealous.

I just had an Olive Burger with American Cheese, Green Olive Tapenade, Red Onion, Lettuce and Tomato for lunch. Breakfast was an Upper Crust Burger with Boursin Cheese, Roasted Garlic Onion Jam, Sliced Cucumbers and Gouda. Both had the usual Two Certified Angus Beef Patties on a Toasted Brioche Bun. I got an email yesterday with a buy one get one free coupon that expires tomorrow, so I didn't waste any time using it. I only saw one flavor of Boursin cheese at one store, and not until last year, but their website says other stores have some flavors too. I don't even have to drive 3 miles to get the Garlic and Fine Herbs flavor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boursin_cheese

Today I took the crazy lady to get her loaf of bread, and a bag of dog food she didn't know she would soon need. Since we were there I bought more raisin bread, buy one get one free, and 3 bowls of soup I had a $1 e coupon for. Her total was $11.48 and mine was $11.49, one cent higher because I'm a big spender. I couldn't have planned that if I tried. I just found that out she saved 17% and I saved 34%, twice as much, to get to those numbers. Strange.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: November 01, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »
Today's breakfast was Jägerschnitzel with potato cheese puffs, plus the usual breads, soup, salads and sides at the B.I. Nothing I ate since then is worth mentioning. It seems like every place makes Jägerschnitzel different. I had it at a few restaurants in Germany and they were all good. It's one of my favorite meals.

I walked out of the restaurant in time to hear some of the narration from the Glockenspiel tower, right above the door my mom and I came out of. I stood in the parking lot and saw the pied piper leading the rats away. That was 10-15 minutes after the whole thing started. I kept pointing up at it and my mom just said she didn't know what I was pointing at. The restaurant is 130 years old but the glockenspiel is only 50 years old, with all the bells and working parts imported.

https://bavarianinn.com/dine/glockenspiel-tower/

I drove across the covered bridge, turned around and crossed it again. The speed limit is only 7 mph which gave me a little time to look around inside as I crossed. They used over 1,400 pounds of nails building it. Hammer Time! The whole 230 ton bridge was built next to the river and set in place somehow. They pulled it on wooden rollers that looked like fence posts in a picture I saw, on wooden tracks they built for it. I'm not sure how they got it all the way across and would have loved to see it happen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk