Author Topic: UPS vs. USPS  (Read 33011 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
UPS vs. USPS
« on: January 20, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
I know I've complained about the post office before and here's one reason why.

When I get a package from UPS they send an email telling me where my package is every step of the way. The day before I get it they tell me it will be there the next afternoon from 1-5 P.M. The day it comes they remind me again. In the afternoon the UPS guy puts my package on my back porch as requested, where no one can see it, and rings the bell or knocks on the door. They send me a final email saying when and where it was delivered.

The U.S. postal service is a much different story. I requested email updates from them too. Tuesday they said my package was on it's way to Flint and should be here Wednesday. Wednesday they said it's on it's way to Flint and should be here Thursday. Thursday they said it was in Detroit and they didn't even guess when it would be here. Friday they said it finally made it to Flint and should be here Saturday. Today, Saturday, they said it was out for delivery and should be here by 8:00 P.M.

I kept looking outside to see if it was here and finally saw some footprints that weren't there this morning. The mailman didn't knock or ring the bell, he just put the package on my front porch where everyone except me could see it, and walked away. I just checked my email again and there's no notice that my package has been delivered. If I wasn't at home and looking out the window every 5 or 10 minutes I wouldn't have any way to know it was there.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: UPS vs. USPS
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
exactly my experience and views, JF...

I resign myself to a time of mystery and uncertainty when something is shipped to me by USPS rather than UPS.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »
I forgot to tell you the best (worst) part. It was "PRIORITY MAIL 2-DAY". I placed my order in the afternoon of 1-11-18 which was a Thursday. Instead of shipping it on the weekend they waited until Monday. I assume they did that so the shipping wouldn't take long.  ::)  The postal service had my "2-day" package from Monday afternoon until Saturday afternoon. The cheapest regular shipping from UPS would take 3 days, possibly only 2 if it was shipped early in the morning.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
Whenever I get USPS Priority Mail, I get the same E-Mail with shipping and delivery information, just as I do from UPS or Fed Ex. It also tells me the exact time my package was delivered, so I know when to go to the mailbox. (My mailbox is down at the end of my block).

I actually prefer USPS Priority Mail over either Fed Ex or UPS, because they will deliver on Saturday for no extra charge. And my package is stored in a locked box, not dumped at my doorstep where anyone can see or take it. Saturday is just another day of the week for the US Postal Service. For Fed Ex or UPS you'll pay a premium for Saturday delivery. Or else your package will sit until Monday.

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 03:06:06 PM »
Four words:

Gubmint
Union
Incompetent
Complacent

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:03:53 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 05:35:09 PM »
Don't get me started on the USPS.....in just the last few years: lost, mis-delivered, stolen, damaged....
heck, where would I start?
I was fairly pro-post office, until our long-time carrier retired a few years ago. In the time since he retired, there has been at least a half-dozen carriers on our route and none of them could count their butt cheeks and come up with the same number twice. That's why I stopped mailing 90% of bills and went to online payments for most everything.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
I just checked my email again and they still haven't let me know that they delivered it, but it's only been about 7 hours.  ::)  With UPS, during the brief moment I bring my package into the house and check my email, it's already updated. The USPS did send me a notice about another package that shipped today. They said it should be here by 8:00 P.M. Monday but I know that's not going to happen. If it gets here before Thursday I'll be both happy and truly surprised.

Some books I ordered from barnesandnoble.com came in a week or so ago. UPS shipped them halfway across the country in 1 or 2 days IIRC. But instead of bringing the package to me they gave it to the post office for them to deliver. It went from I don't recall where, to Flint, to the main P.O. downtown. Did they deliver it to me the next day? Hell no! They sent it to Detroit for some unfathomable reason.  ???  The P.O. in Detroit sent it back to Flint. Eventually I did get it, but it took 5 days altogether to go from the P.O. to my house, which Google maps says is a 3.4 mile drive away. UPS never takes 5 days to make a 10 minute drive. I had other packages of books sent from to the P.O. from UPS and all of them took longer than just shipping the whole way by UPS would have.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:52:28 AM »
One of the interesting things is that when the USPS makes a delivery for UPS they scan the label upon de!ivery, and within 10 minutes UPS emails you that your package was delivered.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1404
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »
Don't get me started on the USPS.....in just the last few years: lost, mis-delivered, stolen, damaged....
heck, where would I start?
I was fairly pro-post office, until our long-time carrier retired a few years ago. In the time since he retired, there has been at least a half-dozen carriers on our route and none of them could count their butt cheeks and come up with the same number twice. That's why I stopped mailing 90% of bills and went to online payments for most everything.

I'm going to have to steal that one.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »
Experience #1.  I mailed a birthday card to my daughter (who lives in Hawaii) two full weeks before her actual birthday.  Of course, there was a check in it since it is cost prohibitive to send an actual gift to an actual island.

She hadn't received it by her birthday.

She still hadn't received it two weeks after her birthday.

I cancelled the check (bank charges $25) and had the bank send a second check from my on-line account. 

The second check arrived in less than a week (now, nearly a full month after her birthday).  The original check arrived three days later.

Experience #2.  Christmas was coming, so I took my sister's gift (she lives near Billt in AZ) to the USPS on about December 11.  I figured that was plenty of time.  Nice USPS employee said that was plenty of time and it would be delivered by December 18.   

Dec. 18 came and went with no package delivered. 

Christmas came and went with no package delivered.

I started thinking about porch pirates, but sister assured me that they have a special keyed bin for all package deliveries.  Postperson puts the package in the bin and leaves a key for said bin in the proper box for the intended recipient.

Package arrived on January 3, 2018.

Paco and his gimpy mule could have walked it from Florida to Arizona in that time.

UPS always does better.  FedEx usually does better.  DHL relies on the USPS for final delivery and is generally better.

Bottom of the barrel is the USPS.  Sometimes, it's all we've got..

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk