Author Topic: I Jazzed Up My R.I.A. With Some New Grips  (Read 4689 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
Re: I Jazzed Up My R.I.A. With Some New Grips
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 04:10:50 PM »
I know a guy that buys Talon grips for all of his handguns...they're basically fitted skateboard tape to put on your gun. I like the feel, but like you said, a long range session would leave you with a few less layers of skin.

I've seen the Talon Grips advertised but not handled them. I just took a look at what they have for 1911s and you have a choice of Granulate or Rubber for $4.99 for just the front strap piece. You could get a lot of those from a roll of tape. Moss color rubber is $1.00 more. The great thing about using tape on a 1911 is you can just remove the grips, cut the tape to the desired length, apply it to the frame, and put the grips back on. If it's not exactly centered it doesn't make any difference. The grips will cover it. If I ever run out of the gritty tape I'll buy a roll of the rubber/plastic kind.

My bedroom gun could use a new piece of tape. I have a semi-auto in an old CO2 revolver holster attached to the bedpost. My pistol drops right in but the little part that should go around the revolver's trigger guard is on the left instead of the right side. It wore a small hole through the tape. It still works great but it doesn't look perfect.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »

To get a better grip I use anti-slip tape made for stairways on the front strap of most of my pistols. I buy it by the roll in 2" width at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's basically self-adhesive coarse sandpaper, about 60 grit I'd say. It works great but I wouldn't want to use it for a long session at the range. The textured plastic surface tape would be much better for that.

http://www.surefootcorp.com/index.php/skid-guard/

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Safety-Walk-Slip-Resistant-Medium-Resilient-Tapes-and-Treads-310/?N=5002385+8709314+3293717112&rt=rud

That's what I've been doing for 20 years on my Commander...... I bought the large sheet for a stair tread and still have 75% of the first one. It takes a lot of use to wear through the grit, even with daily handling.
That is what is on the front-strap in the pic below. It looks fairly un-worn, so it was probably a new piece I'd just put on when the pic was taken.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 10:29:18 PM »
That's what I've been doing for 20 years on my Commander...... I bought the large sheet for a stair tread and still have 75% of the first one. It takes a lot of use to wear through the grit, even with daily handling.
That is what is on the front-strap in the pic below. It looks fairly un-worn, so it was probably a new piece I'd just put on when the pic was taken.

Nice pic. That grit looks brand new and possibly even coarser than mine. My fingers have worn the grit down a little, and it's done the same to my fingers. Mine is a lot less gritty now. I seriously thought about buying the large stair tread pieces too but I'm glad I got the roll of tape instead. It works great on my double-wide Para .45s. I used it on the fore end of my Mech-Tech too but it didn't stick very good and I peeled it off.

I bought strips of grip tape that I believe were 3/4"x12" and put them on the tailgate of my pickup. Before I put it on there I was doing something in the back of my truck that has a cap on it so I have to crawl around. It was a hot summer day and my hands were sweaty. When my hands hit the tailgate they both shot out from under me and I flew out like Superman! Too bad I didn't stick the landing.  :'(  I bought 2(?) packages of the pre-cut tape and put 1 and 1/2 strips end to end on each of the raised ribs of the tailgate. I haven't flown since. I guess I should have started a grip tape thread instead of hijacking this one.

ETA: I took another look at your pic and see that the top of your tape is a fraction of an inch higher than mine. It doesn't like to curve one way around the front strap and a different direction toward the trigger guard at the same time.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 06:11:00 PM »
The type I have has some flex to it, not much, but just enough to mold it to the curves. I bought it at Lowes years ago. The tape in the photo has been worn down significantly since the pic was taken and needs replacing again.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

AmberDawn

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 12:44:38 PM »
Very Nice!!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:48:22 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk