Author Topic: Perimeter Alarms  (Read 6276 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Perimeter Alarms
« on: January 01, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
I've been thinking about things going poorly in NK and the possibility of people being displaced.  Or, just TEOTWAWKI in general.  So...just knowing what is going on around you may be important. 

I've been looking at some solar alarms to set at a distance....but I have nothing for that yet.  If someone has some experience with electronic alarms then lead me on.  The specs read good...but I dunno.  I prefer the "beam" type to the motion detector type.  I think that will reduce false alarms and you can set it above the height small animals will set it off.

I did see the Sentry Alarm Mines ( http://alarmmine.com/ ) and ordered a few.  They have a trip wire and use a 22 blank to make noise. 

So my thought is electronic (bad for EMP though) to alert me someone is in the area and a Sentry Alarm to let me know they are close.  Plus...a 22 cap being busted next to you will change a guy's plans quickly.  They may persist with their intent...but don't you know they will be looking over their shoulder and will be less effective.

Call me paranoid....OK.  I think it's good practice to know if someone is slipping up on you purposely with evil intent.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Perimeter Alarms
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 06:22:33 PM »
I like those .22 blank alarms. I didn't even know they had them.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 06:58:46 PM »
I didn't know either.  But I think they are certainly a worthwhile thing to have around.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:02:49 PM »
I'm in for a little education also...the recent random murders in Seminole Heights in Tampa has peaked an interest in some form of electronic surveillance, but I don't really want a router tied to my computer as part of the system...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 10:23:15 PM »
If you went with a 12 gauge perimeter alarm instead of .22 you could use blanks, flares, or pepper gas. Here's a place that makes them, and they have some that just use a 209 shotgun primer. I have no idea what the cost is for shotgun primers vs. .22 blanks but it may be worth looking into. There are several other places to get the 12 gauge trip alarms too. https://fithops.com/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:43:15 PM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 06:37:04 AM »
Frank I like that.  It looks like a good price.  You can get 100 of the 22 blanks on Amazon for $8.00.  I see on the manufacturer's website ( http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/12_Gauge.html ) you can get 50 of the 12 gauge flash bangs for $76.  Shame on you making me spend money...my wife is going to be soooo verrrrry mad at you.

I can see using a layered approach with these.  The little 22's vs. the 12 gauge flash bangs.  I'll have to think of it a bit, but I like the blank noisemakers in close and electronics out a bit.  Most likely I'll put the 12 gauge in really close...but maybe not...gotta think about it some more.     

Les, there are some like this HTZSAFE ( https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=htzsafe
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=htzsafe ) that transmit up to 1/2 mile (I'd cut that back to 1/3...just because I don't believe sales claims) that are solar charged and hookup to their own "base" unit.  From a cursory look their budget base appears to accept 16 simultaneous alarms (32 sensors) whereas their best model can track 8 sensors (4 perimeters) and alert you by varied sound as to which perimeter is breached. 

The HTZSAFE seems to be what a guy wants (considering user ratings) but is a little pricey.  What I don't see is a really good discriminatory alert where you can track many perimeters and get both an audible and visual display.  It would be great to have a dozen or so perimeters and be able to number and NAME them for a discriminatory alert.......along with the other things that this brand seems to offer.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 08:08:16 AM »
That is excellent! You guys are giving me ideas. Imagine one of those 12 gauge flash bangs set up INDOORS when you're gone on vacation, or whatever. I could easily mount one with a trip wire very low, and across my sliding glass door. (Easiest point of entry). With the unit itself mounted to the side of a kitchen cabinet, and the other end screwed to the opposite frame of the door itself.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
Indoors at entry point.  Just think about the big pile of crap you'll have to shovel out of the way once you get home.  You may want to set that outside back from the door just a bit.....

;D

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1423
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 11:21:52 AM »
I love this idea. For those of you with more machining experience would these be very hard to make?? Cheaper than the $20.00 price?

Yep I am a cheapskate. (These days you have to be)
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »
I love this idea. For those of you with more machining experience would these be very hard to make?? Cheaper than the $20.00 price?

Yep I am a cheapskate. (These days you have to be)

If you had access to a lathe you could easily make them. Like most things that require machining, it wouldn't really pay to make one or two. If you had a few people who wanted to go in on them, you could make a couple dozen and it would be worth it. On a CNC lathe, once you take the time to write the program, you can make 50 as easily as you can just one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk