Author Topic: Miserable Cold  (Read 24785 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
Re: Miserable Cold
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2018, 08:35:13 PM »
Beautiful bright blue sky today.  Water running across the parking lot at the truck stop.  I backed in, grabbed my gloves, hopped out and started to drop the trailer.  By the time I had the landing gear down, pigtail disconnected, and was pulling the latch, my ears were cold, my hands were cold in the gloves, and my lack of jacket had it a very uncomfortable nippley situation.  How the H can I feel so cold on such a warm day?  Then as I was dropping the airbags and getting ready to pull away I looked down at the dash ... -2F!  How much salt did they dump on that lot to make the water run like that?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »
11:24   73F... down from a high of around 82F

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »
My blower motor in my flat bed died the other day...  17 degrees  and shorts are not a good combo.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »
The temperature isn't as much of a problem as all the snow, which my neighbors think is okay to shovel off of their driveway and pile up in mine. I don't know whether I should to talk to them, or just use my ATV to plow a ton of snow right behind their car. I could plow even more snow from across the street if I wanted to. They wouldn't be able to go anywhere, and it would take them hours to dig their car out.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »
The temperature isn't as much of a problem as all the snow, which my neighbors think is okay to shovel off of their driveway and pile up in mine. I don't know whether I should to talk to them, or just use my ATV to plow a ton of snow right behind their car. I could plow even more snow from across the street if I wanted to. They wouldn't be able to go anywhere, and it would take them hours to dig their car out.
Talk to them. Record the conversation.  Ask them if it is ok to pile snow on your neighbors driveway. If they say no, ask them to remove what they piled on  yours.  If they say yes, bury them in snow.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #95 on: Today at 03:49:58 PM »

Timothy

Miserable Cold
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2018, 02:50:46 PM »
Sadly, ya can’t pick yer neighbors!

Another reason I avoid over populated urban centers.  My drive is a hundred feet to any adjacent drives and we can’t push it back into the road.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2018, 07:22:21 AM »
Got down to 14 this morning.  I"m about done with winter...
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
Couple of weeks back Bunny and I went to North Carolina to remind ourselves what winter feels like.  Woke up a few mornings to temps in the mid-teens.  Saw actual snow.  Trees frosted up and looked beautiful there in the mountains.  There's a lot to be said for having four actual, different seasons.

It even got kinda cold here in Florida for a few days.  Temps in the high 30s and low 40s.  They didn't stay there long, but it was a reminder of what cold might feel like if we actually got much of it.

Right now, we're at 82F and 70% humidity and it feels good.  I'll have to remember this when it 95F and 95% humidity in August and the AC is running 24-7 to keep it tolerable inside.

No place is perfect except maybe that part of the country round San Diego, California.  Year 'round average temp is 72F which is just about perfect.   But then, it's California and on one can afford to live there with all the taxes or want to live there with all the stupid gun regulations.

I think, to do it right, you just need to have two places to call home.  One would be comfortable in winter.  One would be nice in summer.  If someone would send me a large check, I could check it out for you guys and report back.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »
Couple of weeks back Bunny and I went to North Carolina to remind ourselves what winter feels like.  Woke up a few mornings to temps in the mid-teens.  Saw actual snow.  Trees frosted up and looked beautiful there in the mountains.  There's a lot to be said for having four actual, different seasons.

It even got kinda cold here in Florida for a few days.  Temps in the high 30s and low 40s.  They didn't stay there long, but it was a reminder of what cold might feel like if we actually got much of it.

Right now, we're at 82F and 70% humidity and it feels good.  I'll have to remember this when it 95F and 95% humidity in August and the AC is running 24-7 to keep it tolerable inside.

No place is perfect except maybe that part of the country round San Diego, California.  Year 'round average temp is 72F which is just about perfect.   But then, it's California and on one can afford to live there with all the taxes or want to live there with all the stupid gun regulations.

I think, to do it right, you just need to have two places to call home.  One would be comfortable in winter.  One would be nice in summer.  If someone would send me a large check, I could check it out for you guys and report back.

Crusader Rabbit

Two places is a good idea....

We need a "lodge" in two places, perhaps the Winter Lodge in FL. and the Summer Lodge in, say MI or WI??

Someone good at this, find the places and start the fund raising.  =)
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
Hawaii would be a nice place to visit if you can afford it, but I wouldn't want to live there. In an average year the high temperature gets up to 84 for a few months, and the low only gets down to 68. If it wasn't for the average of 225 days of rain each year the weather would be great. 19 days of rain per month would get me depressed enough to be suicidal.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk