Author Topic: Miserable Cold  (Read 24654 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Miserable Cold
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »
Facebook just reminded me of this picture I took looking out the front door.

That picture reminds me of one winter when I went out the back door and walked to the front sidewalk to get the mail as I usually do. Halfway there I got whacked on the back of the head by a big, heavy icicle. I looked up and wasn't a single icicle hanging from the eaves. I looked at the front of the house and there were no icicles there either. Ditto the back of the house. I didn't see fallen icicles in the snow or broken pieces on the driveway either, except right at my feet. I didn't check the other side of the house but the facts were plain to see. The only icicle on my house stayed there until the exact moment I walked under it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »
Facebook just reminded me of this picture I took looking out the front door.

I forgot to add that was 7 years ago.  2011.   I remind everyone who is bemoaning climate change that weather patterns come around in cycles.  We've just had some milder one the past couple of years.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2018, 08:59:16 AM »
<snip>
 The only icicle on my house stayed there until the exact moment I walked under it.
Glad to find out I am not the only one like that.   :'(

I forgot to add that was 7 years ago.  2011.   I remind everyone who is bemoaning climate change that weather patterns come around in cycles.  We've just had some milder one the past couple of years.

From a winter standpoint.  Back 4-5 years ago we had ferocious drought and summer evening temps over 110 for a 1/2 hour after dark!  I think I prefer the 110....

We're going back down to single digits Monday and Tuesday...something I'm not looking forward to.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2018, 10:33:27 PM »
Glad to find out I am not the only one like that.   :'(

From a winter standpoint.  Back 4-5 years ago we had ferocious drought and summer evening temps over 110 for a 1/2 hour after dark!  I think I prefer the 110....

We're going back down to single digits Monday and Tuesday...something I'm not looking forward to.

You can keep the 110 degree heat to yourself. I'll take my chances with the attack of the killer icicles. I don't know why we were singled out. If the temperature outside is equal to room temperature in a building with functioning HVAC I'm happy. If it gets too cold out I can put more clothes on, but if it gets too hot out I can't take anything off. Have I mentioned getting arrested for creating a public nuisance? Clothing was not optional.  :-[  It's down to -1 tonight and back up to the mid-40s next weekend.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2018, 11:47:36 PM »
I was checking the news before bedtime and saw that there was more snow and ice on the roads in Texas and Louisiana than there was here in Michigan. Be safe out there people.

Sponsor

« Reply #75 on: Today at 07:42:53 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2018, 02:21:28 PM »
Monday is supposed to be mid-40s with a 90% chance of rain. That will get rid of some of the snow around here.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »
suitable amounts of crow being added to my plate.... 25 last night on the minimum registering grove thermometer.... 8)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
22 in south GA with wcf in the teens.....supposed to be 70 next Monday.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2018, 06:53:10 AM »
In the Tampa/St. Pete area, we had black ice on the Veteran's Expressway, yesterday.  Id resulted in a couple of accidents.

The weather station module beside my bed tells me inside/outside temperatures, humidity, barometric pressure, rain predictions, etc.  Yesterday morning I learned it also has an "ice alert" function.  Who knew?

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Timothy

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2018, 07:17:17 AM »

Warming again...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk