Author Topic: Advice on Pistol Match Safety  (Read 2085 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advice on Pistol Match Safety
« on: December 08, 2017, 07:49:19 AM »
DRTV is a wealth of shooting info and there's a ton of cumulative match experience here. I'm going to run a new pistol match at my club and I'm looking for some safety advice,
 PARTICULARLY on safely moving one line of shooters off the line and another line of shooters onto the line.

It's winter and the match will be indoors. The depth of our indoor area is about 10-12 feet. So we'll have a row of shooters at the windows on the line taking their shots, then we'll go cold, move them off, change targets, and bring a new row of shooters to the line.

It will be crowded. We will have a side table where inactive weapons could be staged. I was thinking maybe after the first row is finished they stay in place, pocket any magazines and we inspect each weapon for clear. They then move to the table and drop the weapons. Then the other group can retrieve their weapons (under supervision) and move to the line.

I was also thinking if it's only two rows both guns could stay in the window, but I don't really like that, plus if we end up with more than two rows it won't work either.
Any other advice or different procedures? 
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Advice on Pistol Match Safety
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 08:16:15 AM »
is there a reason that competitors cannot bag a cleared pistol after the Range Officer inspects the chamber? request a small gun rug or plastic carrier not a shooting "box" if possible... they retrieve their targets, move to a safe area and sign the target and have it scored(I don't shoot that form of competition, so my terminology is probably not correct)

an option we use for long guns is to have the safe chamber, flagged, and carried up/down (I prefer down)... brightly colored cable ties formed in a small loop through the open chamber of a revolver or mag well of an auto can be supplied by the organizers in case the competitors are not used to that procedure...

once the first line is cleared, the second line comes in with similarly carried firearms and their targets to be posted

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 08:47:58 AM »
That's a good idea...containment eliminates any stray trigger activation. It would also allow each shooter to maintain control of his boxed weapon while not posing the danger of a ND.
Thanks

www.bluebone.net

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
Go to NRA rules.  We do bullseye in a similar situation, and have no issues.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »
Personally, I would rather have the weapons bagged. Use the shooting lanes for unbagging while pointed downrange and bag up after shooting and clearing. Use the table for loading mags or speed loaders.

The table should be a NO WEAPONS area if used for mags - if used for guns, there needs to be a NO AMMO designation.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:42:52 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 01:49:42 PM »
I am going to give some advise here that I have participated in, seen work, and is not far from many organizations.

First, I am assuming you have a ready room where magazines will be loaded and other preparations will take place;
Second, Do the shooting tables/benches have a lower shelf;
Third, Are the participants known and educated on the rules, and do they attend the safety briefing?

In the ready room firearms are prepped and bagged or cased, magazines are prepped and bagged or cased, and safety equipment is prepped;
Upon command to move to the range, shooters move to the tables/benches, targets are hung; firearms,  magazines, spare ammunition, and other gear is set up for the round, and bags/cases are placed on lower shelf; standard NRA commands are used for the course of fire; at the end of the course of fire, firearms are made safe and targets changed, or firearms are made safe, all equipment and gear bagged or cased, and targets are retrieved; and the line change is then made.

Unless your local range, legal jurisdiction, or insurance vendor demands, do not over regulate and inspect.  If a shooter cannot be trusted to follow basic firearm safety procedures as outlined by the NRA and their competition rules, no level of individual inspection and separation of steps will protect you from them.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 01:53:47 PM »
One more item for public relations, while I am still on my soap box:

Use proper terminology!

This is a target competition.  These are firearms, handguns, revolvers, pistols, and rifles.  They are not weapons.  Also, we shoot ammunition.

I know this will be difficult for former and current military and law enforcement, and even tougher for the tacticool, but the public is watching, and our jargon scares them.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »
More good advice. Thank you all.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk