Author Topic: Black Friday Sales.  (Read 6947 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Black Friday Sales.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »
Thanks, Les,

I guess mainly I'm now thinking about optics.    Having it set for various competitions would be great, though we don't see a lot of formal stuff around here.   

Send any hint/tips you can think of.  If I do shooting steel it'll be revolver, but I'm not near good enough to be "competitive".   We did one steel stage at IRC, only took 6 shots and 8 seconds ;)

My other 10/22 is my accuracy gun.  50yds, 1 hole with CCI Std velocity.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 10:25:09 PM »
just a couple of random things...
I had a .930" after market barrel...the first year all three team guns had loosened the receiver mounted sight base... after cantilevering the mounts off the barrel, no further problems

if you start to get a single flyer after dropping the bolt, limit the vertical play of your firing pin (I welded a steel wedge in the firing pin slot)

I added a second mounting lug on the barrel, and bedded the barrel and not the action...stock was a Fajen thumb hole that I whittled a chunk out of so I could hold my head more vertical

a harmonic tuner was added the 5th year and allowed me to "tune" the barrel for the ammo... a 1 1/4" piece of aluminum round stock was bored with a .930 hole... a saw slit lengthwise was cross threaded for a pinch bolt... clamped to the muzzle...shoot 5 shots, move the tuner slightly, and watch the groups change size... off a bench in early no wind morning would put 10 shots on a USPSA paster at 100yd with Win SuperX high velocity

scope was a Tasco World Class AO 6-24x44 with 1/8min clicks and 1/8min dot...anything above 12x you could watch your pulse in

built a fixture to change the depth and angle of the hammer sear notch, and changed the reset plunger to push directly forward on the trigger and not diagonally across... 20oz trigger

I use my CMMG dedicated .22lr upper in an AR for most of my .22 rifle shooting now, so the STC rifle is a safe queen, waiting for the STC to come back to Florida.... :)

edit... I reduced the head space after a long conversation with Mr. David Tubb...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 11:21:31 PM »
I don't know if anyone here posted it already but there were 203,086 NICS checks on Black Friday, the highest ever for a single day. Second and third place were Black Friday 2016 (185,713) and 2015 (185,345). If the trend continues it could be over 220,000 next year.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 06:33:03 AM »
Well, Ruger must be providing some incentives.   BassPro/Cabelas just sent an flyer with the basic entry 10/22 for $169.99.   
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 06:43:32 AM »
just a couple of random things...

WoW!   I was thinking more on the line of which scope and which trigger group.   Far beyond me. 

This one is more of a tactical type setup.  If it does 1" at 50yds that'll be fine.    I was thinking of a rapid zoom 1-4X tactical scope similar to the Bushnell BTR

My other one, a target model straight out of the box does one hole at 50yd so I'm not touching that one.  It has a Bushnell 2-7X P-Rimfire and I'm happy with that.

Interesting at what lengths you've gone through on you guns.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:46:43 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
Didn't know if I ever got around to posting the finished build.  (Another thread?  I don't remember.)

5 lbs according to the bathroom scale.  I'd take it to the UPS store but they' probably freak out.
Looks good, feels good, & shoots good.  I'd recommend the Hogue stock for any build or purpose.

The TacSol barrel is really light and not bad accuracy wise.  This group was shot first thing in the morning and represents shots 35-40, so the barrel wasn't cold not very hot either.  This is from a bean bag with a red dot, and while not the pinnacle of accuracy is more than sufficient for tactical competition. 

The Burris Fast Fire is a 4MOA and works fine in this application.  One of it's features as well as it's draw back is the automated brightness and lack of on/off switch.  The drawback is that as it gets dimmer the dot will eventually shut itself off.   In a scenario where you have a dark room, but a dimly lit distant target, you won't have a dot to work with.  No problem for Rimfire Challenge.
Will work for ammo

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2018, 09:13:12 PM »
Alf... looks good... I'm not familiar with the Steel Challenge rules ( we shot some in the late 80's locally, but with pistol and not with rim fire) so I suppose you don't need to reload under time... if you do , modifying the bolt hold open lever to allow the bolt to drop by working the charging handle is an asset, as is adding an extended "bumper" pad by epoxying a piece of hardwood in the recess at the bottom of the magazine... good shooting

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2018, 10:54:23 PM »
I bought a replacement bolt release for my 10/22 a long, long time ago and years later found out you can modify the stock part by grinding some metal out of the hole. It was probably about 10 bucks and I can put the original one back in if I want to.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk