Author Topic: Just had a $1,900 laptop show up on my front door  (Read 4698 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Just had a $1,900 laptop show up on my front door
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
My credit card is being used by someone in Nashville.

I'd turn them in and get a new card, but they are only spending half of what I was..... ;)
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: Just had a $1,900 laptop show up on my front door
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »
A friend told me today that someone made a charge to her checking account in New York at Saks Fifth Avenue. It was $550 for a T-shirt with a monkey on it, but it could have been worse. They have a $1,220.00 Prada hoodie with a monkey on it too. She called the bank and they put the money back in her account. Within a couple of hours someone used her checking account to buy something in California. I can't remember what it was, but it was something she'd never buy, like a big box full of guitar picks or something equally useless. So she called the bank again and got her money back. There was a third charge for $9 that she's not even going to worry about, but she's closing the account or something so it doesn't keep happening.

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524447242889&R=8056382417204&P_name=Prada&Ntt=monkey&N=0&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306418050&bmUID=mg84xrx

With 50 million credit cards stolen here and 150 million Social Security numbers stolen there, all this information is cheap and plentiful on the dark web. Some information, like maybe an account number, might be sold for less than a dollar. The lowest I ever heard of was around 50 cents worth of bitcoin. Full IDs with name, address, medical records, bank account numbers, SS numbers, etc. can cost hundreds of dollars, but on average your information sells for around 20 bucks. $21.35 according to a 3 year old article I found online, but the price should be less with the huge amount that's been stolen by now. Supply and demand, you know.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk