Author Topic: Tesla Roadster destroys Dodge Demon  (Read 6766 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: Tesla Roadster destroys Dodge Demon
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 11:37:28 PM »
The base model Tesla Roadster is $200,000 and the Dodge Demon is $85,000 to a little over $86,000 depending on where you get the prices. So the Tesla is about 2 2/3 the price of the Demon. I can't afford either one but the people who can afford the fastest aren't likely to settle for second best.

The following list is a breakdown of how Dodge engineers reduced the curb weight of the 2018 Demon.
    Removed front passenger seat and passenger seatbelt.
    Removed rear bench seat, seatbelts, restraints, and front and rear floor mats.
    Removed 16 Harman Kardon audio speakers, factory subwoofer, amplifier, and all electrical wiring.
    Removed rear trunk deck lid cover trim, trunk carpeting, and spare tire cover.
    Used smaller, hollower front and rear sway bars.
    Removed mastic, body deadeners, insulators, and foam.
    Used lightweight, all-aluminum four-piston front and rear brake calipers and 360 mm (14 in) front and rear two-piece brake rotors.
    Installed lightweight aluminum front and rear alloy wheels and open-ended front and rear wheel lug nuts.
    Replaced power-tilting and telescoping steering column with manually-tilting and telescoping steering column.
    Removed front and rear ParkSense parking sensors and ParkSense front and rear park sensor module.

I personally wouldn't want a noisy, one seat car with no stereo system, that needs 100+ octane racing fuel that's impossible to find in some places. I live in a fairly large city of over 100,000 people and would have to leave the city to find a Sunoco that sells racing fuel. The good news would be that when I drive north a couple of hours on vacation I could get it there if I needed it. But a car that I could drive around town with a few friends in it, listening to my music that I never leave home without, sounds better to me. But like I said I can't afford either one so it doesn't matter. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 05:16:53 AM »
I just can't see a Demon over the standard Hellcat. There is nowhere you could actually see the difference on any road in this country. Unless you were willing to commit a criminal act by winding both of them out.

If you want what the Demon provides, you're better off having something built up on a custom basis. Anyone who can afford to spend that much on a play toy can afford it. And when you get right down to it, that's all these things are. Including that Tesla. High priced Jay Leno toys. And true high performance aficionados want internal combustion. Not some whiney electric toy. Even if it is faster.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »
I just can't see a Demon over the standard Hellcat. There is nowhere you could actually see the difference on any road in this country. Unless you were willing to commit a criminal act by winding both of them out.
<snip>

8)
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »
The only place you could really put the pedal to the metal in either one would be on a drag strip, and the Roadster beats the Demon there. I think that anyone with big money who wants to win would likely buy the fastest car. Who wants to go to the drag strip and be the 2nd place winner (1st place loser) every time? Anything high tech will have people wanting it no matter what it is. If the Roadster was called Apple iCar they'd line up to get one.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 11:07:02 PM »
Tesla's new Roadster is going to be a 2020 model so the Demon will stay on the top of the heap for now. Maybe by 2020 I'll be able to find out how much horsepower it has. An older slower model they made was under 800 HP, 778 IIRC.

Even though I couldn't find the HP rating I did find a figure for torque, 10,000 Nm, or 7,376 pound-feet at the wheels, a figure that even Musk agrees is “stupid.” That's more than 9.5 times the torque of the 770 lb-ft Demon running 100-plus high-octane race fuel. 91 octane will drop that down to 717 lb-ft., less than 1/10 the torque of the Tesla. Plus I read that's the torque that the Demon's engine puts out which means less at the wheels. The Roadsters 3 motors putting out that insane amount of torque will have all wheel drive to hook up with the pavement. It should be an interesting ride.

If I had a ton of money and wanted a stupid fast car I'd buy a Hellcat instead of a Demon now and wait to see if Tesla will live up to it's hype or not. 707 HP and 650 lb-ft would keep me happy in the mean time.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:53:06 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
That torque statement on their site must be a mistake!

I could not imagine how you would manage to not smoke the tires off on the hole shot!

Even so, not a bad looking lil rocket!

Don’t need one, probably shit me drawers slammin on the go button....

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »
I saw the torque specs for the Roadster on a few different sites. They must have all gotten them from Tesla but they all said 7,376 lb-ft. Elon Musk said 10,000 Nm in a video but I haven't checked to see if it was converted to lb-ft properly. Older Teslas had Insane Mode you could switch on for faster acceleration. Then came Ludicrous Speed, a reference to the Spaceballs movie, and now comes Maximum Plaid. It will have 3 motors instead of 2 and the battery will be have more than double the capacity of the older model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7VWcuVOf0

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »

Sure would be fun tryin' though....... not that I've ever had any experience with high speeds on public roadways or anything like that.

I mean my old 1982 Chevy S-10 with the 327ci SB Chevy engine would -hypothetically- only do around 145 before it hit the limits of the chassis upgrades and got shaky....never did redline it in high gear.

8)  8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 04:29:22 PM »
I’m guessing that 10,000 Nm or 7376 ft lb torque are estimates!

Heck, even top fuelers cannot measure torque in their “cars”’. It’s all mathematics and assumption...

Electric motors are torquey as hell but I’m guessing someone fat thumbed a digit or two..

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 09:41:03 PM »
Not interested.   I have been in a few of thier cars, the fit and finish of my truck is better.(not joking)  they  are still losing big bucks, they will not be around much longer and are only here now tha.ks too subsidies.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk