Author Topic: Splitting an Arrow with a Barrett .50 Cal  (Read 3149 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Splitting an Arrow with a Barrett .50 Cal
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:54:52 PM »
A modern day Robin Hood with a Barrett .50 cal splits an arrow.

""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

Re: Splitting an Arrow with a Barrett .50 Cal
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:40:39 AM »
He missed by a few thousandths.

Boat tail split...

Still better than I could do.  My daughters boyfriend splits arrows pretty frequently with his bow.  Not entirely on purpose at 10 or 12 bucks a pop..

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »
It would take me several tries to hit the arrow at all. The way the bullet pitches upward is amazing. I would expect maybe a little deflection but nothing like that. It sounds like he may give it another try.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 02:59:41 PM »
It would take me several tries to hit the arrow at all. The way the bullet pitches upward is amazing. I would expect maybe a little deflection but nothing like that. It sounds like he may give it another try.

It's amazing how easily bullets will change direction with minimal contact.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »

It's amazing how easily bullets will change direction with minimal contact.

Yeah, I still can't believe that a bullet with that much mass and momentum would be deflected that far. I thought it would basically plow straight through the arrow and the backstop.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:39:42 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 06:10:55 AM »
I think if the arrow had been solid there would have been less deflection.  That's carbon fiber and hollow tubes have unbelievable strength.  It's an engineering thing...though I can't remember the exact strength of materials and force vector information...too old.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
I think if the arrow had been solid there would have been less deflection.  That's carbon fiber and hollow tubes have unbelievable strength.  It's an engineering thing...though I can't remember the exact strength of materials and force vector information...too old.

Yep.

That's why drive shafts and pylons are hollow tubes.......been a long time on the math terms.
Does the second-moment-of-area thing apply??  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 10:43:16 PM »
I don't think anything hollow is stronger than something solid, but it's much stronger for it's weight. Using a driveshaft as an example, if it was solid and say 3" in diameter, it would be strong but heavy. If it was solid and weighed as much as a hollow one, maybe it would be an inch or possibly less in diameter. That would be easier to bend than a 3" hollow one. A solid carbon fiber arrow should be stronger than a hollow one of the same diameter. A solid one weighing as little as a hollow one would be too skinny and unusable.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »
I don't think anything hollow is stronger than something solid, but it's much stronger for it's weight. Using a driveshaft as an example, if it was solid and say 3" in diameter, it would be strong but heavy. If it was solid and weighed as much as a hollow one, maybe it would be an inch or possibly less in diameter. That would be easier to bend than a 3" hollow one. A solid carbon fiber arrow should be stronger than a hollow one of the same diameter. A solid one weighing as little as a hollow one would be too skinny and unusable.

Correct......and, I don't think anyone is saying that hollow tubes are stronger....... just more efficient, as in "strong enough to get the job done without having to spend a lot of money on excess materials if you used a solid" ..... which is exactly why drive shafts are hollow.
A hollow tube of the proper diameter, weight and wall thickness is "strong enough" to take the place of a solid tube....even if the solid is stronger at a smaller diameter, it would be heavier than the larger hollow tube. It's a balancing act of engineering.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk