Author Topic: Thinking about a CMP Garand but I need some good input  (Read 5317 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thinking about a CMP Garand but I need some good input
« on: November 08, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »
Hi guys!
I'm thinking about ordering a Garand from CMP. I have slowed down buying stuff but I've always wanted one so I'm thinking of doing it. I would probably just take it out and shoot a few-to-several times a year, show it to family and friends, maybe  do a couple of casual competitions at my range...nothing too ambitious. I just love the platform though,  and I want one.

Having said that I'm confused about whether to get a service grade in 30.06 or a rebuilt in .308. As they are described, the service grade is 30.06 and wears all GI parts but maybe (probably) not original. Also they don't do well with today's 30.06 and need lighter rounds or a gas block mod. 30.06 is basically a buck a shot.
The .308 has an original receiver but is re-barreled, new(-ish) stocks, etc. They say it is basically a new gun. The .308 is much more plentiful and cheaper, and from what I've read so far people who have both variations say they are more accurate with the .308.

So I can't decide whether I want the cheaper-to-shoot newer gun or the more historic, duty worn piece that costs more to shoot. I just can't come up with which way to go on that. I'll probably start loading the caliber I get so that's not a huge issue.  Also, the .308 is about $300 more at $1030 than the service grade 30.06.

Any philosophical opinions?

I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: Thinking about a CMP Garand but I need some good input
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
If it was me I'd go with the .30-06 it was designed for. If you want a .308 get an M1A. Why limit yourself to an 8-round clip when you can have a 20-round detachable box magazine in the same caliber?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
I went with the 30-06 this year.   The CMP looks like it is out of the Greek ammo.  It was $110 for 200 rounds. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »
I have long believed the purpose of a gun, any gun, was the ability to send projectiles down range with the greatest accuracy and highest level of efficiency possible.  That includes economic efficiency.  I also hold that certain guns, while not at all economically efficient, are worthy of owning just because--.50 BMG comes to mind.  And, there are certain guns that have little practical value except to look pretty, but a combat gun doesn't fall into that category.

Owning a gun solely for its collectible value has never held a great appeal for me.  High value collectibles attract thieves and just having something in the safe doesn't do much for anyone. 

Everything in my safe is a shooter.  Some are sort of duplicates in a sense.  I have a couple of .22 rifles--one bolt, one semi--and I enjoy shooting them both.  The bolt action is the closest thing to a collectible because it is the very first gun I ever shot at around age seven or eight.  It belonged to my favorite uncle and that gun is now nearing the century mark in longevity.  It's still in excellent condition.  The semi is one of those Remington nylon stock bad boys that shoots 20 rounds just as fast as you can wiggle your finger.  In short, it's great good fun.

Any gun you need to get "special" ammo for, or reload with a lighter charge or lighter bullets would seem to me to be a non-starter.  The caveat here would be if I suddenly found I had more money than I could possibly know what to do with, I might build an extra room on the house to safe-like specs and buy lots of guns I don't need and wouldn't expect ever to shoot. I do not foresee that condition eventuating.

So, my vote would be for the .308.  Good deer gun.  Good bear gun.  Phenomenal range gun.  Reasonable safe queen.  Shootable with conventional ammo.  Decent price.  All the panache you could ask for in an "almost" new gun.  And, except for the barrel, the gun has probably seen all the combat you could want.

FWIW,
Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »
Oh what the heck,  get a piece of history.  Go with the 30-06
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:39:40 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 07:42:11 PM »
Buy bofvavum...

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »
There are ammo manufacturers like Federal and S&B that make "Garand" specific commercial ammo.

If you load for yourself, there are certain burn rate powders and maximum bullet weights to use, but it is doable.

Get the '06 and shoot the heck out of it.

There's my two pennies.  8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 06:53:34 AM »
I went with the 30-06 this year.   The CMP looks like it is out of the Greek ammo.  It was $110 for 200 rounds.
How long did it take for you to actually get it?

www.bluebone.net

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 06:54:38 AM »
Buy bofvavum...
If I could afford that I wouldn't have even brought it up!   ;D

www.bluebone.net

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 07:01:28 AM »
I'm so fortunate to get serious responses from such an august group, I trust all of your opinions.
Crusader, your advice on the .308 I understand very well, and that line of thinking is what has caused me to puzzle over this so hard. I was thinking that way all along and also had been thinking of picking something else up in .308.

I think what has emerged in my little mind is that my interest is not so much in the platform as the Garand itself. A friend has a Socom in .308, it's very shootable and it's cool, but it's not a Garand. So it looks like history is more important to me. I'm also not looking to win competitions with it necessarily. I enjoy reloading, and I enjoy gun projects almost as much as shooting, so the more mature, service grade rifle in 30.06 will give me more to tinker with I think. I'm leaning that way.

Thank you all for your sage and hopefully not so sober advice.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk