Author Topic: "Bump Stock" Ban Is Headed Nowhere  (Read 1810 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
"Bump Stock" Ban Is Headed Nowhere
« on: October 31, 2017, 08:08:39 AM »
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/10/24/bump-stock-ban-dead-water/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2017-10-31&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Much like everything else the liberals jump on the bandwagon about, the wheels quickly manage to fall off.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
Re: "Bump Stock" Ban Is Headed Nowhere
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
Not overly surprising news.  I know the following statement is not the reason for the stall, but in a logical setting it should be the reason:. There was/is support for BATFE to review their position on this device.  This is the proper way to view this type of device.  If a product has been examined and reviewed and determined to fall within the scope of legal devices, it is wrong to pass narrow knee-jerk legislation in emotional haste.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »
Did the NRA ever call for the banning of the Bump Stock?  All I saw was the suggestion that the BATF should review it's findings about it's legality.  But I may have missed a later position by the NRA.

If they did not, then perhaps the NRA's suggestion was made knowing the BATF would not likely be able to reverse a determination that follows the laws and specifications in place.

Also, the NRA suggestion "trumped" any of the Antis using the NRA as the bad guy.....as has been seen, their supports tend to get emotional about Who is doing something rather than What they are doing...like they support legislation they are told is Bernie's but oppose it when they find it is Trump's...
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »
If you read the original, and the follow up, they called only for the internal review with the expectation the legality would stand based on the way it was allowed.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:48:44 AM »
The fact of the matter is the "Bump Stock" was originally approved under an Obama led ATF. It is highly unlikely that a Trump led ATF would turn around and reverse that approval. It would be politically disastrous for Trump, who sold himself as a crusader and protector of all things Second Amendment related.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:07:47 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I knew from other articles online that it was all over. At that time it looked like all the republicans and some democrats were unwilling to put their name on pro-ban legislation. They had maybe twice as many against it as for it or something along those lines.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk