Author Topic: Survival Stuff and Ideas  (Read 1169 times)

Rastus

• Join the NRA ! Today!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
Survival Stuff and Ideas
« on: September 19, 2017, 06:48:29 am »
A lot of good ideas came up in a Hurricane Irma thread.  This is a good place for us to post our ideas or equipment reviews as they come up.

I like this Nitecore i4 charger.  It chargers several different chemistries and voltages (OK to mix batteries) at the same time.

http://charger.nitecore.com/CHARGER/i/NEWi4/
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

The Down Range TV Forum

Survival Stuff and Ideas
« on: September 19, 2017, 06:48:29 am »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
Re: Survival Stuff and Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:46:53 am »
We have Lifestraws in a few closets, and have given them to our kids and their families on holidays.  Very handy if you're stuck away from home and the water supply goes hinky.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref=asc_df_B006QF3TW45177188/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B006QF3TW4&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194884170462&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7348169492083213299&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003866&hvtargid=pla-310770782840

We also have a filter made out of two 5 gal food grade buckets and four drip filters that my son made for us. We use it all the time to take crap out of the municipal water, but you can put mud puddle in and get good water out.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Rastus

• Join the NRA ! Today!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:04:38 am »
What kind of filters?  Berkey?

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 06:05:10 pm »
I have to check with my son- I don't have any info on it, but it's been a few years so we should be looking at replacement filters anyway.
I'll let you know when I find out.

www.bluebone.net

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:50 am »
Rastus, yes, Berkey filters, black and white.

www.bluebone.net

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:22:34 am »
Hey guys always get those solar lights for your yard. I stock up on them all the time. When the power goes out I bring them inside and hang them in the rooms so I do not waste flashlight batteries. I do not have to worry about candles catching the house on fire also.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 02:06:36 pm »
You might want to check out  BioLite products.  Generate electricity with a wood burning stove...enough to power camp lighting and charging wireless devices.

The stoves are smokeless as the they use some of the energy generated to run fans to help combustion efficiency.

I have  not tried the product, but suspect I will soon, but, as yet, I have not found any comments on how reliable and "long lived" this products are.

If interested give them a look at  https://www.bioliteenergy.com/
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Rastus

• Join the NRA ! Today!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 04:22:57 pm »
10-4 on the Solar lights.  I'm glad you said something mine are old...really old like from when Michael Janich brought that up years ago.  Now is a good time to stock up with summer on the wane...there should be some for a bargain.

The Biolite is certainly interesting.  It doesn't seem to provide any more than an USB does....but that may be enough for some.  I'm wanting a good solar panel/battery/inverter combo that does 200 watts or so.  I guess I'll need to put together my own some day...everything I have seen is too ex$pensive.  It would be good to have a little something that can run a couple of battery chargers and full sized LED light for the house.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 05:21:52 pm »
10-4 on the Solar lights.  I'm glad you said something mine are old...really old like from when Michael Janich brought that up years ago.  Now is a good time to stock up with summer on the wane...there should be some for a bargain.

The Biolite is certainly interesting.  It doesn't seem to provide any more than an USB does....but that may be enough for some.  I'm wanting a good solar panel/battery/inverter combo that does 200 watts or so.  I guess I'll need to put together my own some day...everything I have seen is too ex$pensive.  It would be good to have a little something that can run a couple of battery chargers and full sized LED light for the house.

The BioLite generates electricity from a wood fire...pretty much an unlimited source....and it CHARGES USB devices..
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster