Author Topic: Irma and Florida  (Read 17804 times)

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Irma and Florida
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:31:43 AM »
From everything I am seeing, it looks as if Irma is going to hit Florida, hard.  Latest projections and spaghetti models from this morning (0800 EDST) had Irma turning north at the tip of the state, then progressing upward through the center of the state. 

THESE MODELS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

Over the past couple of days, the models have moved east from the western side of the state.  I expect them to move further east.  While this gives me greater faith that my home on Florida's west coast may actually survive the next week, the people from the Keys to Jacksonville are in deep kim-chee. 

Miami floods when there's a heavy rain.  It will certainly sustain major damage from Irma and may become little more than a memory.

It is increasingly difficult for people to evacuate the state.  The Interstates are jammed going north.  Gas stations are running out of fuel or actually have run out.  It is a panic situation all around.  There is no bottled water in the markets (Publix shelves were stripped of everything that even looked like bottled water.   Home Depot was empty as well.)  It's impossible to buy a generator.  Plywood is unavailable.  Dintymoore Beef Stew and Hormel Chile are nothing more than memories.

My own home and Haz's place are at high points on the Pinellas Peninsula with elevations over 40 feet above sea level.  That means we won't see any damage from potential storm surge.  So, if the winds don't destroy our houses, we should weather this storm.

Nonetheless, please keep us in your prayers, my friends.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Irma and Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:42:33 AM »
Hang tough Crusader, and good luck! Keep us informed when you can.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:48:41 AM »
Please, above all else, stay safe (and dry). My prayers are with you and all in the path of this storm.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 01:45:46 PM »
On the list, CR!  Give our best wishes to Haz!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 05:47:08 PM »
I'm about 35mi north of Pinellas in Pasco county... 34ft and 2' above ground level, couple miles inland from the Gulf... like CR commented, if it stays east we'll most likely be ok... will board up depending on the final track... stay safe

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:26:07 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »
You're on the list too, Les!

Good luck...be well and safe.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
Have you heard about people selling cases of bottled water for $100 and some places selling gasoline for $10 a gallon? That's what happened with Harvey and it could be even worse with Irma.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 09:14:49 PM »
Prayers and best wishes to you guys.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »
JumboFrank... the State of Florida prosecutes documented cases of price gouging....IIRC $2500 per incident

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »
St. Martin, St. Bart, Barbuda, and the British and US Virgin Islands all took direct hits. I'm guessing it will be days before we actually find out how bad. All lines of communication are down. Thus far all we've seen is a few seconds of cell phone video. My guess is there are going to be many deaths from this monster. (8 already confirmed on St. Martin).

It was reported on Fox News last night, the governor of the Virgin Islands has issued an order to confiscate citizens weapons. Much like Ray Nagin did in New Orleans after Katrina. The NRA is already bringing suit against the government there. It is a U.S. Territory. Tucker Carlson talked directly to the governor there, and he tried to back pedal out of it for 2 straight minutes. He didn't sound too convincing. Everyone is going to be watching, and asking citizens who live there questions. So we'll see how all of this pans out. Nothing like taking something that's already bad, and doing something stupid to make it even worse. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk