Author Topic: '94 Lever Action  (Read 8823 times)

Timothy

'94 Lever Action
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »
This isn't a tactical question.

I was in a local gun shop and found a 1955 Winchester model 94 in 30.30 for 450 bucks that was in great shape visually.

I'm comfy with a lever action rifle, however I wouldn't know the first thing to determine if the firearm is safe or mechanically sound.

Any help in evaluating the function and mechanicals would be appreciated!

I've been looking for a lever carbine in .357  for some time but 30.30 is readily available and something that I could use for more than one purpose.

Thanks...

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: '94 Lever Action
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »
Mechanically the 94's are a bit loose until lock up.  Once the round is chambered and the bolt is closed the bolt should be rock solid immovable.  There should not be any loose play in the lever either...it may wiggle/move a bit side to side...but oughta' be solid...if that makes any sense to you.

Lacking actual 94 experience you need to chamber some rounds in it to see if there is anything that may be seriously wrong.  Make sure the hammer does not unexpectedly fall when it's not supposed to...like at the end of the stroke when everything is supposed to be locked up ready to rock and roll. 

Sounds like a fair price is the bore is good.  I'd try to talk them down to $400 or $450 including tax. 

This is not advice just my own observations when I look at one.  I bet some of the Cowboy action guys like Majer could be a big help on this.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
Have not even racked the action yet, Rastus!

All great comments, much appreciated.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:33:14 PM »
FWIW.... I had a Win 94 trapper in 30/30 and it kicked the snot out of me...if you are not going to hunt with it, I would look for a .357 or .44 mag...

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:38:10 PM »
30-30...kicked?  Les...you've been fondling those poodle shooters too long....  ;)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:29:25 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:06:37 PM »
I have 94AE .44 Magnum Trapper and the recoil was too much for my arthritic shoulder so I had a Pachmayr recoil pad installed. I can't remember if I've shot it since.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:00:08 AM »
Rastus.. you are probably correct... I used to shoot 7TCU, 44 mag, hot 357, and 30/30 handloads in a pistol... over the years have owned two M1As, an L1A1, an AR10, a .44mag Ruger carbine and nothing smacked me as hard as the 94.... it's nothing bigger than a 5.56 and more likely a 156 power factor 9mm carbine from now on  ;D...

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 08:47:35 AM »
I will say that a 450 Marlin in lever action really does kick and is no fun to shoot after the 3rd or 4th shot (and yes I should have gotten a 45/70 and bought full power ammo but, duh, I did not). 

Timothy....what cha' gonna do?

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »
Gonna think about it...  I really want a lever in .357 to compliment my wheel gun.  Probably gonna keep saving for the Rossi or Uberti.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
A pre 64 Winchester 94 for $450.00 in good shape, BUY IT, that's about 1/2 to a 1/3 of what they are going for. If you reload you can load up some soft plinking loads for it, Plus you might find someone who will trade you a pistol caliber lever gun plus some boot for it,in the meantime, enjoy it. Stay away from the pistol caliber 94's, they don't do well with the shorter rounds. A Rossi 92 is a good strong action that with a little work are great shooters. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk