Author Topic: Pistol sight installation/adjust  (Read 2028 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
Pistol sight installation/adjust
« on: August 06, 2017, 08:12:05 PM »
I'm looking for some advice:

A my Limited gun needs a new rear sight, my main 1911 needs a new rear sight, and I want to change out my Glock rear sight.

A friend wants to do some sight changing as well.  We are going to go together and buy a press.

Advice and reviews?  Sight Pro, MGW, gun specific holders and shoes, or universal?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Pistol sight installation/adjust
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »
<Is this a test.  Going to see where you get the most responses?  I'll keep it going for a while.>

I have the B&J P500. It's universal and you'll spend much longer setting it up than in changing the sight. But that's the advantage it's universal. There are numerous newer makes out there which I have no experience with. The B&J worked easily on my XD's, when I owned them and they're suppose to be some of the hardest to change. Have't needed it in a while, but recently moved the rear sight on my P320 just a tad.  It was a breeze.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 09:01:51 PM »
Not sure who's going where.  I play on facebook, and I play here.  Want to keep this going, because it is a different mindset, but not sure what will happen now with the closed page going.  Still want to come here for things that won't be on facebook, like MB's blogs and other show information.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
if you are looking for other(cheaper)  options... I've installed front and rear sights by doing nothing more than applying masking tape to the sides of the slide, clamping it in a good vise with protecting aluminum vise jaws (a couple of pieces of aluminum angle works) and tapping the base of the sight with a brass or aluminum drift...if a new sight does not start easily into a dove tail, laying a good bastard file flat, and making a couple of passes of the base over the file will lower the sight somewhat, but effectively narrow the width of the sight base...excessive light under a sight can be eliminated with a drop of wicking loctite...

to lower(raise bullet impact) a fixed front sight on an auto with a fixed rear sight, a good bastard file with a piece of flat plastic, formica, or brass glued on the rear 1/3 of the file does two things... resting this protected part on the rear sight, allows the top of the front sight to be cut parallel with the rear sight blade, and at a slight forward angle to keep light from reflecting off the front sight blade.... go easy as all it takes is 10 to 15 thousandths to change point of impact 1" at 25yd on 1911 pistols  ... measure the distance to the top of the sights... it is easier to measure from the bottom of the slide... zero the calipers to the height of the slide by itself, and then the top of the sight

windage movement is accomplished in a similar manner with a caliper... a piece of machined metal clamped to the side of the slide is a good reference point to locate your caliper on to measure the amount of drift you apply

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1422
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:03:58 AM »
Not sure who's going where.  I play on facebook, and I play here.  Want to keep this going, because it is a different mindset, but not sure what will happen now with the closed page going.  Still want to come here for things that won't be on facebook, like MB's blogs and other show information.

I like the FaceBook interface but also like here. We can be freer and discuss prices freer without having the fear of the FB police being "offended" or mistakenly accusing us of trying to sell firearms. That traffic would be better over here.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:09:18 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk