Author Topic: Liberty Ammo  (Read 5833 times)

Timothy

Liberty Ammo
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:55:49 PM »
Anyone know anything about Liberty?

Their loading cartridges with 50 gr bullets pushing 1500 fps using a fragmenting solid copper bullet in a variety of calibers.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Liberty Ammo
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
I've put 50-60 rounds of it downrange in a couple of 9MM's.  They all performed well.  The point of impact shifted a bit and they did not group as well as my normal ammo (Hornady Critical Defense or Corbon DPX). 

HOWEVER, my carry pieces are notably lighter.  The LC9 resides far more easily in the pocket now and the SR-9 or M&P 9 carry IWB much lighter.

So...expensive but I'm sold on it for carry ammo.  I hope the bad guys don't catch on because the frangible can't easily be tied back to a barrel. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 08:31:03 PM »
I know nothing of loading but basic physics tells me that a lighter bullet needs more powder to attain the pressure to push the smaller mass downrange!  How can the cartridges be so light and not weigh close to std ammo weights?

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »
9MM is a 50 grain bullet vs. a 115 or 124 grain bullet.

I doubt there is any meaningful difference in weight due to powder.

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »
So, what is the weight of powder from std 9mm vs this bullet @ 50gr?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:12:31 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 10:39:05 PM »
I dunno.  I just know the whole dang thing is noticeably lighter.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 10:57:44 PM »
bullet and propellant weight is measured in grains... there are 7000 grains in a pound

the amount of energy in a propellant is controlled by several methods
most smokeless propellants are nitrogen compounds containing ... nitrocellulose.... nitroglycerine... nitroguanidine  and referred to as single, double, and triple based propellants, depending on the relative mix of the three

burn rate is controlled by shape,.... flake,.... spherical,... extruded (sticks) as well as any burn rate reducing coatings like graphite

typically target loads on a commercial level are light charges of "fast" burning powders to make the cartridge economical to produce... while "magnum" loads are large volumes of "slow" burning powders, typically needing a primer of high initial energy

a particular volume of propellant will produce a certain volume of gas with which to propel the bullet...more volume (weight) of powder equals faster bullet... but since the breech end of the open barrel is only sealed off by the expansion of the cartridge case there are pressure limits...blow back actions and locked breech actions have different safe levels...  bullet weight and charge weight by propellant manufacturers are listed in reloading manuals and are keyed to the max recommended pressure

I use Winchester Super Field which is a medium burn rate shotgun propellant for 9mm.... a 3.6 grain load behind a 135 grain polymer coated cast bullet gives me about 1080 fps out of a 16" AR 9mm carbine... the same load out of a Glock 34 is about 950fps...
regards Les

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 06:14:09 AM »
Thanks Les! 

That pretty much tells me that the weight of the propellant is rather insignificant in the overall weight of the cartridge.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »
Timothy... my .44mag loads from metallic silhouette would give you slightly different ratio of comparison against smaller auto loading pistol cartridges... my .44 mag load was 24grains of propellant for a 245 grain cast lead bullet... I don't have a bullet puller at the house, but my guess is that a factory 115 grain 9mm would have no more than 6 grains of propellant...

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
Given the lighter mass, how many grains of powder would be required to push the 50 gr bullet to 1500 fps?  It's not much weight but lessen each cartridge by 3-4 grams x 10-15 rounds would save 1 to 1-1/2 oz per magazine?

It won't matter much in my snubbie but a 75 gr bullet in .45 ACP or 45 Colt would save several oz per mag.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk