Author Topic: 5" 629 .44Mag  (Read 1956 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
5" 629 .44Mag
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »
I'm somewhat obsessed with 5" revolvers.   I have a 5" 686 & a 627.  Use to have a 5" 625.  And now a 5" 629.   I'm casually giving thought to a 5" M60, plus I'd love to cut my 929 off to 5".

Here's the latest acquisition.

A secret of buying used is to watch the on-line sites (Gun Broker, et.al.) and look for the pawn shop gun stores disposing of inventory.    This gun probably had a half box put through it before it was stashed away then finally pawned.  It came with box and accessories and hardly looked used.  $690.  Out of state so no sales tax and only a $25 shipping fee.  Retail is $800+tax.  So I saved about 15%.

It came to me as is from the factory.  So the first thing I did was totally strip it.  Removed everything, with the exception of the front sight, and the extractor rod lock.  Then I sent it to MagnaPort for the standard 2 port treatment.

Marvelous gun.  The ports don't help with recoil, what they do is practically eliminate muzzle rise.   I'll try to get a video of it soon.

I had never so totally stripped a revolver and I did have to refer to youtube to figure out how to put the stupid lock back together.   And then I had to go digging around the other forums for the explanation of the Endurance Package's bolt lock.   This isn't shown in any S&W gun smithing book.  Easy enough to figure what it was and how to put it back, but the lack of documentation after 30 years is a puzzle.

So, like me, who've never noticed the difference between the 629 (and the X frame guns) and all the other S&Ws, here's picture of the extra little part. 

What was happening was the gun was recoiling so fast the bolt was not keeping up and the cylinder would unlock.  So this little part, operated by the hand pivot pin, keeps the bolt locked back during recoil.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: 5" 629 .44Mag
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:50:38 PM »
Nice .44. You always have interesting revolvers. I like the Mag-Na-Porting too.

Mag-Na-Port is slightly less than 65 miles from me and I drove there once instead of shipping my gun. It was interesting looking around the Handgunner's Hall of Fame while I was there. I remember talking to someone there who said a guy who wanted to drop off a gun drove to the city of Harrison instead of Harrison Township. They ended up about 170 NW of the place.   :-[  It was an easy mistake to make since the address was in Mount Clemens until Harrison Township was incorporated. When I heard they were in Harrison Township I thought they moved but they just got a new address.

https://americanhandgunner.com/mag-na-port-makes-it-manageable/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: 5" 629 .44Mag
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 05:53:09 AM »
Nice write up Alf.   :)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk