Author Topic: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????  (Read 32617 times)

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 06:46:50 PM »
Brian is spot on about the megapixels.  That's what I meant by maturing technology that is improving.  They could give  you 50 MP but it would not be very good to look at if that makes sense.

I would push the megapixels to 12 and above and stay under 20mp.  Then look for what accommodates our shooting...if you are going to shoot in low light it's good to have a flash better to have a camera that performs well in low light....for example choose 12 mp that works in low light instead of the 20 mp that performs poorly in poor light.

You'll figure it out.  Go peruse Amazon and the ratings people give them.

All good Points. Brian I like Olympus as a brand, their stump is good. I have one of the waterproof models. APS(Advanced Point and shoot) with the right sensor & Flash may work out. I (we)have a Nikon mirrorless (J1) is also very good and a compact size. BillT you can do it I'm sure...if it gets Daunting we'll be here to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »
Brian he said he wants to do High speed, Gun pics...Gotta have at least 20MP and some nice Glass. We got a Sigma (For Nikon) fisheye, a 12-60 Sigma for Nikon(we also have the "Big Ma 50-500" -that's from when we were in Football Media, but we also Shot Airshows with it. I will attach a pic)
If you have a Costco card the 7200 Package with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses for $1400, which also includes a bag, 2 Memory Cards(32Gig I think) and a set of filters .....they also have just the 7200 Body for $549 and you can shop other venues for the best prices on the lenses you want. The Tameon 18-270 is$599...good all around lens if you can only get one right now..

Where did Bill say anything about high speed? He said, " I want something for gun photography, that will show good color and detail." I read his post a few times and if he said anything about high speed I missed it every time. I don't know that much about video but it doesn't take a $1,000 camera to take decent still pics.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 07:31:29 PM »
Where did Bill say anything about high speed? He said, " I want something for gun photography, that will show good color and detail." I read his post a few times and if he said anything about high speed I missed it every time. I don't know that much about video but it doesn't take a $1,000 camera to take decent still pics.

Frank, to me that means High speed as in Processor, shutter speed etc etc...My wife's cameras shoot at 5 and 8 frames per sec and my little Nikon J1 is 4 per sec, and even our pocket Cool pix 6100 shoots 3 per sec....

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
i have a 12 year old Nikon that is 5.1 mega pixles that was the best one at the time....

I bought it because it takes regular double a batterys not something strange.   my recommendation is you find one that is the same.   something you can get batteries for it every where.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 08:26:37 PM »
A couple pf years ago we bought a Nikon package deal through Amazon.

It has the Nikon D3200 (24.2 mp) body, standard Nikon 70 lens and a Tamron 300 lens (both with UV filters), remote control, external flash, tripod, bag, two SD cards, charger and a couple other do-dads. We paid $550 shipped. I later ordered two more batteries and a spare car charger.

Great battery life between charges (especially if not using flash).

It takes great photos, and is user friendly.

Each photo uses about 13 to 14 megs of space.

My sister-in-law has a Canon Rebel 18 mp and there is no comparison in photo quality.... the Nikon flat out performs it (in my humble subjective opinion...heck, I have a Kodak 14 mp that takes clearer photos than her Canon). **Not knocking Canon cameras, just that model she has.

We use the 300 lens way more than I thought we would, and it really is only too big for indoor and really close ranges.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:02:35 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 11:05:35 PM »

Frank, to me that means High speed as in Processor, shutter speed etc etc...My wife's cameras shoot at 5 and 8 frames per sec and my little Nikon J1 is 4 per sec, and even our pocket Cool pix 6100 shoots 3 per sec....

You can photograph guns without a fast shutter speed or a fast processor. Plenty of people do. It just depends on if you want stills or action shots or video which I don't think Bill specified. We'll have to wait for him to tell us what he wants.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

BAC

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 01:02:04 AM »
A couple more points.

1.  Memory is inexpensive, but don't go cheap.  Plenty of good cards out there to choose from, but the really cheap ones are bad news.  Also, if you're planning on doing video or shooting a lot of photos in succession, make sure you get cards that are fast enough to keep up with the data transfer (it will say on the card how many MB/sec they can accept or what video resolution they're good for).  Otherwise you will be frustrated.

2.  Peg brought up a great point about batteries.  At least one spare battery is required.  It is not optional.  What do we always say about carrying a gun?  Better to have one and not need it...

3.  A good photo editing program.  You don't need Photoshop for basic editing.  Photoshop costs as much as a car anymore, I swear.  There are others that do well for not a lot of money.  I've been using Adobe Lightroom for the last couple of years (since I don't work for a company that pays for Photoshop anymore), and I've been very happy with the results.

4.  Peg also mentioned his sister-in-law and her Canon.  Go back and review my prior post about the kit lenses that come with cameras.  Canon is especially guilty of this.   ;)

Lastly, if you are just looking to take static photos of guns, smart phone cameras are annoyingly good under the right conditions (part of the reason I no longer work for Olympus - people stopped buying point and shoot cameras):

Enfield No. 2 Mk. 1 and Nagant 1895
by Brian Chiaravalle, on Flickr

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »
A couple more points.

1.  Memory is inexpensive, but don't go cheap.  Plenty of good cards out there to choose from, but the really cheap ones are bad news.  Also, if you're planning on doing video or shooting a lot of photos in succession, make sure you get cards that are fast enough to keep up with the data transfer (it will say on the card how many MB/sec they can accept or what video resolution they're good for).  Otherwise you will be frustrated.

2.  Peg brought up a great point about batteries.  At least one spare battery is required.  It is not optional.  What do we always say about carrying a gun?  Better to have one and not need it...

3.  A good photo editing program.  You don't need Photoshop for basic editing.  Photoshop costs as much as a car anymore, I swear.  There are others that do well for not a lot of money.  I've been using Adobe Lightroom for the last couple of years (since I don't work for a company that pays for Photoshop anymore), and I've been very happy with the results.

4.  Peg also mentioned his sister-in-law and her Canon.  Go back and review my prior post about the kit lenses that come with cameras.  Canon is especially guilty of this.   ;)

Lastly, if you are just looking to take static photos of guns, smart phone cameras are annoyingly good under the right conditions (part of the reason I no longer work for Olympus - people stopped buying point and shoot cameras):

Enfield No. 2 Mk. 1 and Nagant 1895
by Brian Chiaravalle, on Flickr

First off Brian, Your pictures are beautiful! Especially that engraved Colt Single Action Army! That's basically what I'm looking to do. My wife wants me to photograph my whole collection, along with providing descriptions and value estimates. In case something were to happen to me, so she wouldn't get screwed over trying to sell anything or everything.

I always try to keep the latest S.P. Fjestad Book Of Gun Values on hand. But that can get confusing to someone who doesn't know guns, conditions, etc. So that's the main purpose for this camera. To provide something better than my little 15 year old Sony Cybershot can. I suppose I'll need Macro. Do they all come with some type of Macro setting? ($500 to $750 range cameras, like the Nikon and Canon I posted?) From what I've read SanDisk memory cards have a pretty good reputation. Even the 128 GB seems affordable. And as you mentioned, an extra battery sounds like a necessary investment.

I don't need high speed for video. Just something for basic short video's. (Stuff like my dog, or me at the range, etc.) Nothing like capturing auto racing, or anything like that. My old Sony will shoot "video". If you really want to call it that. It makes the first motion picture of, "The Great Train Robbery" look high tech. And it only lasts a few seconds. So whatever I end up with will be a massive improvement over what I have now.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
Also, can you charge the battery on these new cameras off a USB Port? I have USB Ports on my new Jeep. So it would be nice to be able to while you're on the road. Say, on vacation.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
Where is Alf?  A couple years ago he was playing with this and posting photos of guns.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk