Author Topic: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????  (Read 32623 times)

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »
Dr. what part of the media are you in?  Do you help out with any of Michael's shows?
I wish! But we have many Friends in common. I am the Producer/Lead host of the Firearms Chat Podcast(Shameless self promotional plug ahead!)Firearmschat.com the same name on Facebook and iTunes. We are members of the Self Defense Radio Network(Selfdefenseradio.net) and I'm a freelance writer....our most recent show we had Dave Workman as a Guest, this 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »
I bought a Nikon COOLPIX L32 on sale. It's nothing fancy but it does what I need it to. The quality isn't bad for maybe a $100 investment. Instead of buying a USB cable, when I want to transfer pictures to my computer I just pop out the SD card and plug it into one of the half-dozen different kinds of slots on the front of the computer. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-l32.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »
The D7200 is a fantastic camera, if it is within your budget.  Right now they have refurbished bodies for $799.96.  I have a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.0 lens.  Really good quality at an affordable price, plus it has a good macro range for close up work.

Rule Britannia!
by Brian Chiaravalle, on Flickr

Colt SAA
by Brian Chiaravalle, on Flickr

That's the San Francisco Peaks in Flagstaff Arizona shot from the Deck of the Haunted Hamburger rest. In Jerome AZ.elev. 6,000 ft with the Fuji S-5 which we still have, which takes Nikon lenses( that was the 70-300 about partway extended)....

BAC

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »
Brian he said he wants to do High speed, Gun pics...Gotta have at least 20MP and some nice Glass. We got a Sigma (For Nikon) fisheye, a 12-60 Sigma for Nikon(we also have the "Big Ma 50-500" -that's from when we were in Football Media, but we also Shot Airshows with it. I will attach a pic)
If you have a Costco card the 7200 Package with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses for $1400, which also includes a bag, 2 Memory Cards(32Gig I think) and a set of filters .....they also have just the 7200 Body for $549 and you can shop other venues for the best prices on the lenses you want. The Tameon 18-270 is$599...good all around lens if you can only get one right now..

OK, I must have missed where he said "High speed" in his original post.

You mean like this?   ;D ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 01:42:16 PM »
I would like to stay within the $500.00 to $750.00 range if possible. I know these things are like anything else. They get better as the price goes up. I'm guessing with a 128 GB card, the amount of photographs you can store are just about endless. How much do the high megapixel cameras, (28+) use up per picture? Remember, I'm used to 2.1 megapixel.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:55:47 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 01:49:02 PM »
Also, what about the flash? I have a pretty good flash from my old Canon A-1 and AE-1, 35 MM film cameras from the 80's. Will the "hot shoe" on it work with these new digital SLR's?

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 01:49:47 PM »
I would like to stay within the $500.00 to $750.00 range if possible. I know these things are like anything else. They get better as the price goes up. I'm guessing with a 128 GB card, the amount of photographs you can store are just about endless. How much do the high megapixel cameras, (28+) use up per picture? Remember, I'm used to 2.1 megapixel.

Hey Bill we share a great first name! You need to be able to get those pics off the card to continue shooting as they do take up a lot of space. A 28MP camera will not be at the $750 range. You could put a better lens(like a 14-85 wide angle) on that 3400 but you get what you pay for as you already know. If that's all you can afford right now, roll with it and save for a better body and lens later...

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
Also, what about the flash? I have a pretty good flash from my old Canon A-1 and AE-1, 35 MM film cameras from the 80's. Will the "hot shoe" on it work with these new digital SLR's?

I had an AE-1 program a long time ago. No they don't but flashes are not expensive unless your doing professional work. Nikon's entry level Flash is under $200.....We got an third party Nikon Mid level Flash for $219. Try finding the 3400( or a step up to the 5500) with more accessories in the Package, like a 2 battery grip, and a remote.

BAC

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
Do you need to have interchangeable lenses?  There are some really good compact cameras out there with large sensors and good zoom ranges that let in a lot of light.  I have an Olympus Stylus 1 camera that has a 28-300 f/2.8 (the smaller the f number the more light it lets in and allows you to use in lower light) lens that continues to blow my socks off with its quality.  It also shoots at 12 frames/second.

Second, stop worrying about megapixels.  Megapixel counts are more for marketing than anything else.  12 MP or above should suffice for 95 % of the people out there.

Third, if you decide on an SLR (pick one, they're all pretty good), I would suggest getting an upgraded lens with it (the kit lenses with most cameras...not so good).

As far as flash goes, most cameras have a built-in flash which is really good for fill-in flash to lighten shadows during the day, but not much else.  You might want to try it out for a while to see if you think you might need one.  Cameras today are amazing in low light situations.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
Brian is spot on about the megapixels.  That's what I meant by maturing technology that is improving.  They could give  you 50 MP but it would not be very good to look at if that makes sense.

I would push the megapixels to 12 and above and stay under 20mp.  Then look for what accommodates our shooting...if you are going to shoot in low light it's good to have a flash better to have a camera that performs well in low light....for example choose 12 mp that works in low light instead of the 20 mp that performs poorly in poor light.

You'll figure it out.  Go peruse Amazon and the ratings people give them.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk