Author Topic: 14" Barreled Mossberg "Shockwave" Shotgun ???  (Read 9946 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
14" Barreled Mossberg "Shockwave" Shotgun ???
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:31:06 AM »
What I want to know is how this thing becomes a non NFA weapon, and can be sold like any other shotgun, in spite of the fact it has a 14" barrel? The only thing different on it, is it has some kind of goofy looking club grip on it, instead of the usual pistol grip. (Which looks much more controllable than what they've put on this thing). How does a change in grip alone knock it off the NFA list with a 14" barrel? They both have "pistol grips" on them. Remington has done the same thing with the 870. I forget what name they've tagged theirs with.

tombogan03884

Re: 14" Barreled Mossberg "Shockwave" Shotgun ???
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 07:50:53 AM »
Just like a 10 inch AR.
It's built originally   as a pistol.
Just like a Taurus Judge.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
Just like a 10 inch AR.
It's built originally   as a pistol.
Just like a Taurus Judge.

So... You could take it to a gunsmith, and have the barrel cut to ANY length you wanted? Say just ahead of the magazine screw cap, like a Serbu, "Super Shorty"? If I'm not mistaken those require a "AOW", (Any Other Weapon), registration. These do not. Why would these be any different? They're both "pistols". The legality of this gets dangerously confusing when you go under 18". That, along with the fact the ATF seems to change it's mind on this type of stuff every 15 minutes.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:30:09 PM »
No. You have to manufacture a new reciever with a serial number listed as PISTOL through the entire process, and it can never have a shoulder stock installed, just like the Thompson Center Contender and Encore 45/410's.
10-14 inch 410 barrel, pistol grip is OK, undo one screw and replace it with the carbine stock is a federal crime.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:30:40 PM »
The Mossberg 590 Shockwave and Remington Model 870 Tac-14 are considered firearms due to the 26 inch plus a fraction overall length they have with the Raptor pistol grip. They are NOT pistols. You can NOT shorten the barrel. You can NOT put a regular pistol grip on it that shortens the overall length. Just about anything you might want to do to it converts it from a firearm to an AOW.

ETA: If these things were pistols you could change the grips and shorten the barrels but there's no such thing as a 12 gauge pistol in the US. I believe .50 caliber is the biggest you can get in a pistol.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-tac-14
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:01:14 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:13:48 AM »
Shotguns are exempted from the 50 cal max .
Otherwise all 12 gages would be illegal.
and there is at least one 12 g pistol made by Olin for boaters.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »
The Mossberg 590 Shockwave and Remington Model 870 Tac-14 are considered firearms due to the 26 inch plus a fraction overall length they have with the Raptor pistol grip. They are NOT pistols. You can NOT shorten the barrel. You can NOT put a regular pistol grip on it that shortens the overall length. Just about anything you might want to do to it converts it from a firearm to an AOW.

ETA: If these things were pistols you could change the grips and shorten the barrels but there's no such thing as a 12 gauge pistol in the US. I believe .50 caliber is the biggest you can get in a pistol.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-tac-14

So..... It has to be built without a shoulder stock from the factory, and the overall length has to be 26"+. So theoretically they could add 2" of length to the grip, and remove another 2" from the barrel. Thereby shortening the barrel to 12", and it would be just as legal? This is all so full of stupid.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 07:42:22 AM »
So..... It has to be built without a shoulder stock from the factory, and the overall length has to be 26"+. So theoretically they could add 2" of length to the grip, and remove another 2" from the barrel. Thereby shortening the barrel to 12", and it would be just as legal? This is all so full of stupid.

But, aren't MOST gun laws?

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
Shotguns are exempted from the 50 cal max .
Otherwise all 12 gages would be illegal.
and there is at least one 12 g pistol made by Olin for boaters.

Shotguns can be bigger than .50 caliber but like I said pistols can't be and these aren't pistols. And legally speaking 12 gauge flare-guns aren't pistols either. They aren't guns at all in the eyes of the law and that puts them in the same category as paintball guns. They're both non-guns. Capisce?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
drop a 00 in one and tell me that ain't a f....k pistol . Capisce.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk