Author Topic: 14" Barreled Mossberg "Shockwave" Shotgun ???  (Read 9947 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: 14" Barreled Mossberg "Shockwave" Shotgun ???
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »
So..... It has to be built without a shoulder stock from the factory, and the overall length has to be 26"+. So theoretically they could add 2" of length to the grip, and remove another 2" from the barrel. Thereby shortening the barrel to 12", and it would be just as legal? This is all so full of stupid.

To legally be a shotgun the definition that I always heard and read was that the barrel has to be at least 18" and the overall length has to be at least 26". That was straight from the ATF. Since the barrels on these are less than 18" they aren't shotguns but are somehow considered firearms. I don't get it. They aren't shotguns, pistols, or AOWs, but they're firearms. If that makes sense to anyone please explain it to the rest of us.

In Michigan you need a pistol permit to own a rifle or shotgun that's less than 30" overall. I have a pistol permit for my Ruger 10/22 with a folding stock because it's less than 30" with the stock folded. I'd probably need a pistol permit for one of these guns if they're even legal here. I had a pistol permit for a shotgun before and it was just barely over 26" with the barrel being a fraction over 18". If I shortened the barrel or grip it would have been an unregistered sawed off shotgun. How these can legally be firearms has something to do with them not being full length shotguns that were cut down at at a later date.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:59:56 PM »
drop a 00 in one and tell me that ain't a f....k pistol . Capisce.

How about you do it then come back here and tell us how well it turns out when you fire 12 gauge buckshot out of a flimsy piece of plastic?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
I just wish they hadn't put that stupid strap on the forend. It makes the whole thing look like it was put together by a gang banger on a card table.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
Here is Hickok and his son running a bunch of different ammo through 3 of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxECBq-f68s&t=1344s

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 07:30:41 PM »
No. You have to manufacture a new reciever with a serial number listed as PISTOL through the entire process, and it can never have a shoulder stock installed, just like the Thompson Center Contender and Encore 45/410's.
10-14 inch 410 barrel, pistol grip is OK, undo one screw and replace it with the carbine stock is a federal crime.

This stuff is all so insanely stupid. We have shotshells for all calibers, and sabot rifled barrels for shotguns. What's the difference between a 45 Colt shotshell and a .410? Or a .45 Colt shotshell out of a Ruger Blackhawk with a rifled barrel, or a .410 shotshell out of a smoothbore shotgun? They are both centerfire shotshell cartridges. Both possess the same lethality.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:06:03 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »
The Shockwave and TAC-14 aren't pistols so I doubt the receivers' serial numbers are ever listed as pistols. Especially since 12 gauge pistols would be considered AOWs. I don't think you can turn an AOW into a normal legal firearm but I'm not sure about that. I never heard of anyone doing it. If an AOW was made into a regular firearm I don't think after it was registered as such that you could turn it back into an AOW again. I have to agree with you Bill that this stuff is stupid to the point of being insane.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
I have to agree with you Bill that this stuff is stupid to the point of being insane.

Indeed.

Leave it to the gubmint/BATFE....they really know how to put the "dic" in ridiculous.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 07:13:32 PM »
Indeed.

Leave it to the gubmint/BATFE....they really know how to put the "dic" in ridiculous.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

You got that right.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
Nighthawk Custom makes their own version of a 12 gauge firearm called the Tomahawk. I think it's the best looking one of the bunch. It's the same overall length as the other 2 but has a 16" barrel and a normal looking Hogue pistol grip. It has 5+1 capacity, one more than the Model 870 Tac-14. The 590 Shockwave is the same size as the Model 870 Tac-14 but it's a 6 shot like the Tomahawk. http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/tomahawk

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
That Tomahawk sure looks good but I'm not spending $1,395 of my hard earned cash for one. In Michigan I would need to register it as a pistol because it's under 30" long. I guess anyone with a Concealed Pistol License could carry it concealed anywhere in the state they can carry an actual pistol. If someone tried to rob you and you whipped that out you probably wouldn't even need to fire a shot to scare the $h!t out of them. As a bonus, the police could follow the trail of $h!t and catch them, not red-handed, but brown-pantsed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk