Author Topic: Return of Para Ordnance? No, but . . .  (Read 7603 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Return of Para Ordnance? No, but . . .
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
Remington just announced that they're making Model 1911 R1 .45 ACP pistols with double stack mags like the old Para Ordnance P14-45. The regular model has a 14 round mag and the competition model has a 15 round mag. Ive been waiting a long time to see if they would ever make the double stack models. I hope they sell good and stick around for a long time. I may have to trade in one of my Paras.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

Re: Return of Para Ordnance? No, but . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »
Rock Island has been making them for years, using Para mags.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
I knew RIA made a double column 1911 but don't know if they still do. I wasn't aware it used Para mags. That's nice to know.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 10:40:58 PM »
I looked a t RIA again and they do still offer high capacity .45s but with a 13 round mag instead of 14 rounds like the Para P14-45 and the new Remington high cap. If the Para and RIA mags do interchange I wonder why they don't have the same capacity? They're all full size pistols with 5" barrels. http://armscor.com/firearms/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-hc-45-acp/

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »
Nighthawk Custom has a double stack option for government model 9mm pistols but not .45s. STI still makes their 2011 .45s but a 13 round mag is 140mm long and they don't make anything bigger. Caspian Arms sells double stack 1911 frames but it looks like they're made for 9mm and .38 Super. I have no idea what the magazine capacity is since they don't appear to sell mags to go with their guns.

So it looks like Remington and RIA are the only real options for a double stack 1911 type .45 unless there's something else I don't know about.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:01:39 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:52:41 AM »
Might want to check out EAA   http://eaacorp.com/

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:54:01 AM »
I have a Para "Big Hogg" with an alloy frame.Had it out shooting about 2 weeks ago and started having trouble feeding ammo into the chamber. I thought it was the ammo but I have never had trouble with it before. Cleaned it good after I came home and started too put it back together.  Noticed a small crack on top of the right rail and upon closer examination found a one inch long crack from the rail through the frame down into the grip.
Took it to a gun smith to see if he could TIG weld it but he said TS.  I'v had it for more thane ten years, think they would give me a new frame?

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »
I'd see if they'd replace it with a STEEL  frame .

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »
Might want to check out EAA   http://eaacorp.com/

Their 1911s are single stacks with 8 round mags.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »
I have a Para "Big Hogg" with an alloy frame.Had it out shooting about 2 weeks ago and started having trouble feeding ammo into the chamber. I thought it was the ammo but I have never had trouble with it before. Cleaned it good after I came home and started too put it back together.  Noticed a small crack on top of the right rail and upon closer examination found a one inch long crack from the rail through the frame down into the grip.
Took it to a gun smith to see if he could TIG weld it but he said TS.  I'v had it for more thane ten years, think they would give me a new frame?

Remington said they would honor Para USA's lifetime warranty. My alloy frame Para is 29 years old if I'm not mistaken. The whole gun rattles like a maraca but the last time I shot it there weren't any problems. Maybe you shot yours a lot more than I shot mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk