Author Topic: Pigeons !!  (Read 9601 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Pigeons !!
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:35 AM »
I have a big Pigeon and stray cat problem at my place. The Pigeons are crapping all over my roof, and the cats all along the side of my house. So I decided to do something about it. First I went up on the roof with a broom and a hose. You wouldn't believe the amount of Pigeon $h!t that was up there! I broomed off several POUNDS of it. Because it is so dry out here, the stuff breaks apart easily, and sweeps off like pea gravel. Then I started in with the hose. After I was through, and had everything washed and cleaned off, there was at least a pile 10" high completely across my sidewalk! It was years worth.

I used a big dustpan to shovel most of it up into a garbage can lined with 2 trash bags, so they wouldn't leak. Then hosed everything that was left into the gravel. I also picked up all of the cat $h!t along the side of my house. I went to Lowe's and bought 2 of these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dalen-Great-Horned-Owl-Scarecrow-Bird-Repellent-Decoy/1000124947

I filled the base with about 10 pounds of lead shot so they wouldn't blow away, and epoxied the plug shut. And then set them on my block wall on each side of the house. They really look menacing. There hasn't been a cat around since. I also was looking on Amazon and saw these, so I bought 4 of them. (Link at the bottom). I hung 2 in front, and 2 in the backyard. They really work well. They reflect sunlight with a prism like effect, in a bunch of different colors. It supposedly screws up their ability to navigate. Which in turn frightens the hell out of them. They leave the area, and are afraid to return.

So far, so good. I see them on the neighbor's roof, and on the roofs across the street. But not on mine. I couldn't believe how much crap was up there. You don't really notice it until you get up there and start removing it. If they ever come back, I'll start in with the spikes and the pellet gun. I've got 2. A 5 MM Sheridan, and a 5 MM Chinese. Both are accurate enough to hit Pigeons without cracking any roof tiles.   

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Blinder-Reflective-Hanging-Owl/dp/B01LXTO87M/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1493035467&sr=8-10-spons&keywords=pidgeon+repellant&psc=1

tombogan03884

Re: Pigeons !!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
Lean a plank against the side of your house and let the cats solve the pigeon problem. Feathers are much easier to clean up.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1423
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:46:31 AM »
Good info. If God is willing I will be building a house this year on a wooded lot and this info will come in handy.

Thanks.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
I can't believe people actually buy Pigeons. If I had a few of those, "Have-A-Heart" traps, I'll bet I could catch 25 a day. They're everywhere.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
I know things are working now, but two suggestions for the owls as time goes on:

1.  In your gentle Arizona climate, the owls will fade, and they will eventually become ineffective due to loss of all color;
2.  On replacement or to supplement, make a motion owl - either hang the owl from a hook or branch, or drill out the base larger and set it on a stake.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:55:17 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 12:34:20 PM »
Keep the pigeons and cats around. When the liberals take over they may be your only food source .

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 12:49:12 PM »
Forget about the cats and pigeons. Use the liberals as a food source. You'll never run out. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1423
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 12:51:13 PM »
Forget about the cats and pigeons. Use the liberals as a food source. You'll never run out.

Yeah but they make lousy stew. Maybe just raid there pantry to give them a life lesson? Let them feel what it is like to have thing stolen from them like they do to others.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »
Yeah but they make lousy stew. Maybe just raid there pantry to give them a life lesson? Let them feel what it is like to have thing stolen from them like they do to others.

You can always take them out to the woods hunting bear.  They make great bait, and bear is GOOD.  Same could be done down south for gators as well.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfack

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »
My trashy neighbors started throwing all kinds of scraps out for the birds and rats. Soon enough a flock of pigeons started landing on my roof. They got the message after I popped a few with my Air Arms S410 in .22 caliber. That thing is very quiet. Last one I shot was immediately swooped upon and carried off by a red-tailed hawk! Feed the hawk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUXQm_BIjJ4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk