Author Topic: Thirteen Days  (Read 2098 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Thirteen Days
« on: April 24, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
Six months from now we will be in the midst of the 55th anniversary of "13 days in October" 1962.  I think of this, because I am sitting here, waiting for this weeks orders, and watching the movie Thirteen Days.

As I watch this movie I am thinking of how things have changed in our nation, and what would happen if this were to happen again.  A couple of important items that started me thinking have, and haven't, changed with modern technology.  At one point the President asked the media to hold back on reports until he was ready and addressed the nation, and the media complied; and at the same point the President requested time on the networks to address the nation, and they complied.

Today our media is more interested in their selfish gains and blurting out what they know, rather than working it through to be both accurate and to benefit the national good.  I have also noticed that in recent years it is difficult to find Presidential or other important addresses, unless you pay for coverage on either radio or TV.

I could ramble on for pages, but I will leave it at this and hopefully this will just be the start of a long discussion here.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

Re: Thirteen Days
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
For one thing, the media and Democrats would be openly supporting Cuba.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
As I watch this movie I am thinking of how things have changed in our nation, and what would happen if this were to happen again.

In a strange sort of way it is with North Korea. The only thing keeping this nut case from pressing his buttons, is the failure of his stuff to launch. And to go the distance if it did. There won't be a nuclear exchange, but it won't end as peacefully as the Cuban Missile Crisis did. And I would say we're getting pretty close to something happening in the next 13 days.

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:00:45 PM »
The Cuban missile crisis was largely averted by what lurked below the waves!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
In a strange sort of way it is with North Korea. The only thing keeping this nut case from pressing his buttons, is the failure of his stuff to launch. And to go the distance if it did. There won't be a nuclear exchange, but it won't end as peacefully as the Cuban Missile Crisis did. And I would say we're getting pretty close to something happening in the next 13 days.

The question I have is in today's version of "the press," how could/can we do what needs to be done?  In fact, in the hateful world of government, both sides equally to blame, how could a President and his Cabinet work through this without the gossips going public and blowing it all?

I have wondered since the early 90's how in the world we are supposed to fight a war with the media embedded with the forces and constantly broadcasting everything they are told and that they speculate.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:05:44 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk