Author Topic: So I got some range time in today.....  (Read 3364 times)

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
So I got some range time in today.....
« on: April 16, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »
With a RIA CS (officers size) and a home built AR-15.  A new sear and disconnector are in the future of the RIA, maybe a hammer and arched mainspring housing too.  Shoots better than I can.  I have trouble seeing the front sight.  My shooting partner was cutting X's, I was able to keep it inside the kill zone on a half size silhouette target.  Cataract surgery didn't help the can't see shit within arms reach problem.  Practiced some point shooting at 7 yards.  No drawing from concealment permitted, practiced raising the pistol while flicking the thumb safety off from belt high.  First two with dominant hand only, second two with both hands, 5 and 6 while sighting.  Getting better. 95% of shots are in the kill zone of a half size silhouette.

The AR is good to go.  I mounted a Holosun on it, the kind that has the solar panel.  4 inch groups off hand, 2 inch off a rest at 100.  Once again there seems to be a loose nut behind the trigger.  ASC, Magpul gen 2 and 3 magazines ran slicker than snot on a brass door knob.

Getting old sucks.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: So I got some range time in today.....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:43:09 PM »
I can't remember the last time I went to the range but I think I can point shoot if the bad guy is close enough. Only one room in my house is over 12 feet in either direction and the house is only 24 feet square so even from room to room the distance isn't too great. If I can't hit them from that close point shooting I can sure as hell scare the crap out of them. Either way there's going to be DNA evidence at the scene.   ;D
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:18:05 AM »
FBG, I can empathize with your statement about getting old and the attendant suckage.

Last time at the range, I took a number of guns including my Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag.  When I had run about 30 cartridges through it, I came to the conclusion the gun is more than I can expertly handle.  I sold it to a very good friend who is 30 years younger.   He bought my .44 Mag lever, too. 

I still shoot my .357 Mag with skill and dexterity so that's my go-to gun of choice.  It has a lever carbine partner, too.  I like the idea of one cartridge, two guns.

Now, I am considering selling my long time daily carry: a Glock 27.  However, I have so much invested in that gun.   I have a 9mm barrel to turn it into a 26;  an internal laser sight that I just didn't ever like;  a .22 lr slide assembly that seemed like a good cheap practice idea at the time but has less than a hundred rounds through it; too many magazines to count, Pierce extensions; Kydex holdsters (two);  SoB leather holster; IWB holster; OWB concealment holster (level 2); and just shy of a bazillion rounds of everything except Blazer. 

I think I'm looking to replace it with a .357 snubbie if I can find one that fits my fist.  I had a Rossi in stainless with a trigger guard that smacked the heck out of the middle finger knuckle every time I shot it.  Left a mark that hurt for a good 6 months, so I don't want to make that mistake again.  The same guy who bought my .44 also bought the snubbie but I know he doesn't need another one.  So, this next one has to fit my paw.

Enough rambling.  Getting old sucks.  HazCat just hit 63 and I told him I really wish I could say something positive about advancing age.  But, I really can't.  An elderly aunt came closest to finding something good to say about age when she was in her 80s:  The one thing the Good Lord gives us to compensate for the loss of our youth is wisdom...  but you can't do sh!t with it.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »

Enough rambling.  Getting old sucks.  HazCat just hit 63 and I told him I really wish I could say something positive about advancing age.  But, I really can't.  An elderly aunt came closest to finding something good to say about age when she was in her 80s:  The one thing the Good Lord gives us to compensate for the loss of our youth is wisdom...  but you can't do sh!t with it.

Crusader Rabbit

69 this year.  Cataract surgery on Thursday.   I've laid off doing much range time so far this year, because I can't see.     Getting older is not for the faint of heart.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:46:39 PM »
i can't wait til the fall when I will be able to shoot trap 100' from my back door.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:38:44 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk