Author Topic: There Goes The Neighborhood  (Read 10648 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
There Goes The Neighborhood
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
Time to vent. I've been living here for 20 years now. In that time we've seen a significant increase in the Hispanic population in and around this area. I'm sure this has been the case in much of the southern states. Both legal and illegal. I have also noticed a big drop in quality of product in a lot of the stores around here. Especially the grocery stores.

20 years ago we had fewer grocery outlets, but they carried much better product. Now we've got stores everywhere, but everything they have is crap. This is especially true at places like Wal-Mart. Their meat has gotten all cheap and fatty. Forget trying to find anything in the way of premium cuts. If you buy hamburger you have to make 6" patties, because by the time they're cooked they'll shrink down to bun size. They don't sell premium cuts because most Hispanics won't buy it. They've got tons of kids to feed, and not a lot of money to do it with. I'm not being critical of them, it is what it is. The end result is we now have grocery stores that make me think I'd be better off shopping at Pet Smart if I want better quality food. Hell, my Poodle's food is $28.00 for a 4 pound bag. The little guy is eating better than I would be if we shopped at these rat holes.

Clothing is another area where quality has gone way down. Especially regarding every day wear like tee shirts, jeans, and underwear. Or casual shoes. It seems like everything lately falls apart after just a few washes. But again.... It's cheap. Everything you pick from soup to nuts is cheap, and tastes like it. Or wears like it. Now we even have a grocery chain that caters to them, (Food City). I hadn't been in one, so one day we went. They had Mexican music blaring inside. Most everything they carried was of the Spanish ethnic variety. Dirt cheap, and plenty of it. If you went in there to buy ingredients to make pizza or beef stew, forget it. If you want gallon cans of Jalapeno's, or 4 pound sacks of Tortilla's, your all set. I swear we were the only 2 whites in the whole damn joint.

I have to drive 10 miles further now to get decent meat, that isn't full of fat and gristle. Same with the deli counter. The places around me have nothing but that crappy, "Arby's style blubber meat". Cheap and fatty. But the Mexicans buy it by the ton. If these people raise their kids on that crap, they're all going to need bypass surgery by the time they're 30. None of this existed 20 years ago. But this appears the direction we're going. I think it sucks. OK, rant off. 

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: There Goes The Neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
Luckily I still live in America, not the United States of Mexico. I do my grocery shopping at a Kroger store about a mile a away. I believe they're based in Cincinnati but are all over this part of the country. I'm sure there's a grocer nearby that specializes in Mexican food but I can't think of any right off hand. There's a Lebanese store a couple blocks away that bakes their own pita bread and a little farther down the road I believe the Seoul Market is still in business. So there are places that sell ethnic food but when I go to the grocery store it's an American store that has less than half an aisle of Mexican food. That's the way it should be since the city is only 3% Hispanic or Latino. It sucks to be you Bill.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »
That "market segment" is growing in that area and the merchants are responding to it.

However, it is indicative of a more wide spread trend.

For a society to maintain it's population, there needs to be 2.1 births per female during her life time. 

For that society to grow and perhaps keep pace with competing social groups in the same area, country, the birth rate needs to be higher...more in line with the competition.

The "Zero Population Growth" push has done much to diminish the traditional "Western" society in the US.

Few minority groups adhere to ZPG, most critical of these might be the Muslim population.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »
Quality of all products has been declining for years.
How many of you are depending on plastic pistols.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »
So there are places that sell ethnic food but when I go to the grocery store it's an American store that has less than half an aisle of Mexican food. That's the way it should be since the city is only 3% Hispanic or Latino. It sucks to be you Bill.

I have the same thing. It's just further down the road. This is happening in more places than Arizona, believe me. I saw it deteriorating in and around Chicago 26 years ago. It's why I left. Trust me, it hasn't gotten any better since then. Both New York and Chicago rank in the top ten of Hispanic populations. So it's not limited to the south.

Tom is right. Quality is dropping everywhere, because the latest generation of people are more willing to accept it. Manufacturers have no reason to change. The latest new vehicles hold up well. But look at what you pay for them. Not to mention what it costs to service them if and when something happens.

Even brand names like Nike and Reebok don't hold up well anymore. Lower quality coupled with higher prices are here to stay....... Until everything goes completely to hell. And with a $20 TRILLION dollar debt, that is a very distinct possibility. And when that happens it isn't going to mean squat where you live.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:17:56 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
Walmart meats have always sucked!  They're pre packed at offsite locations and trucked to the store!  My BIL is a grocery manager at a NH WM and if he had ANY other choice, he wouldn't shop there...

There are several local stores where you can get a butcher to cut your meats here.  I don't eat cold cuts...

I don't know what the Hispanic population is here, since it's a sanctuary state, I suspect it's growing but in our markets there is only one aisle for ethnic foods.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »
We are so lucky to have Kroger and Publix competing for our business.  And Costco's meats are also considered top drawer.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
.....Walmart meats have always sucked!

Actually ours here were pretty good. It all started to slide about 6 or 8 years ago. Better cuts started disappearing in favor of the cheaper crap. And it's only gotten worse. The absolute worst days are Wednesdays. That's when Wal-Mart "price matches". And you have every Mexican within a 10 mile radius shopping there. All with a stack of coupons 2 inches thick. If there are 3 Mexican families ahead of you in the checkout lane on Wednesday, and you've got ice cream in your cart, it will be liquid by the time you get it home. I could buy a house or a new car quicker.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 11:03:57 PM »
I avoid shopping at Wal-Mart whenever possible. If it was the only store in town I would be forced to go there, but they aren't so I do my shopping elsewhere. I take my mom there about once a year, maybe twice, to buy window fly traps. They're like double-sided clear tape that you stick on the window and one side is covered with glue. Wal-Mart is the only place I've seen them but I just did a quick search and it looks like Home Depot has them too, so I won't have to go to Wal-Mart at all. I never bought any clothing there but I heard their athletic shoes only last a matter of weeks. I'm currently wearing Rockport walkers that I've had for years. I'm not sure where they were made but they're good shoes. Before I got these I wore a lot of New Balance shoes that were made in the US but they make a lot of them other places now.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 06:30:27 AM »
Rockport started in Rochester NH now headquartered in Newton Mass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockport_(company)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk