Author Topic: Carcano!  (Read 9125 times)

BAC

Re: Finally!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
Meant to ask, does it have the Chrysanthemum, or was it ground off at the surrender ?

No mum.  Monopod missing as well.  It does still have the cool anti-aircraft rear sight.

The one that impressed me most to shoot was the Enfield.  Maybe I like it better than the Garand (gulp).  Can't believe I just wrote that.

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »
LOL

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »
Very neat collection.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Conagher 45

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 05:30:53 AM »
I have noticed the price of Lee- Enfield has been going up over the past couple of years, now may be the time to get one. It is about the only other WWII rifle that interests me other than the Garand.
There is room for all of God's creatures ....., That would be on my plate right next to the taters and gravy.

BAC

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
I have noticed the price of Lee- Enfield has been going up over the past couple of years, now may be the time to get one. It is about the only other WWII rifle that interests me other than the Garand.

They are all going up in price rather rapidly.  The most expensive was the Garand, which I bought from the Ohio CMP store for around $600, and the cheapest was the Mosin ($75 including tax).

Sponsor

Re: Carcano!
« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:11:55 PM »

BAC

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
Looky at what showed up on my doorstep this afternoon:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 10:34:40 PM »
That's a nice looking carbine. It looks so short compared to the full size rifles. It would be handy for hunting.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

BAC

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 01:09:06 AM »
I was surprised by how small it is.  My 10/22s are longer than it is.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 06:59:13 AM »
Over on Youtube, and Full 30  CandRsenal have excellent video's on WWI era Carcano's and "Arisaka's".
They have your Carcano, but if it had a monopod and AA sights your Japanese rifle is probably a type 99 .
The videos are on the type 30 , 38 , and 38 and 44 carbines.
All of them seem to be vastly under rated, although the 6.5 cartridges were kind of anemic.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 09:51:51 PM »
the Arisaka's have the type year (of Meijii's reign) marked on the top of the receiver... 38 should look like three stacked horizontal lines and something like this  ) ( .... Japanese numerals are on the net....it's been 40 years since I was there

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk