Author Topic: common items that you can no longer find...  (Read 5797 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: common items that you can no longer find...
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »
My dad had a Yankee screwdriver that's older than dirt. I don't know how much use it got but it worked for years and years. I don't think too many people have seen them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kL9eU0I21Q

I now  have 2, a large one and a small one, that were my dad's.

The question the picture at the paused video would prompt now days would be.  "where is the cord or is it rechargeable?"
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 06:38:40 PM »
I have never been a fan of yankee screw drivers.

they work ok for things like door hinges and the like, but there are much better options out there now.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »
Too late now, but you should have check with Wilton to see if there were any dealers in your area.

I have a damn Yankee screwdriver.   Also a brace and bits.  Back before electric screwdrivers/drills we used brace with screwdriver bits to remove large quantity of screws when working on airplanes.

I used a brace and bits to drill the holes to install a doorknob in a new door. There was an adjustable bit that could be made the right size for the big hole. I can't recall ever using a brace to drive screws though. It's surprising some of uncommon items that you can still find. http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/hand-brace-adjustable-wood-bits
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 08:25:37 AM »
I need something for cutting pop rivets when I need to change out a tail light on the truck.  I bet the Yankee Screwdriver with a countersink would be perfect.

As to the start of this thread, my grandmother and mom made the "world's best biscuits", like everyone can claim, but I never saw a dedicated cutter.  juice glasses, soup cans, anything round is all that was used in either home.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
My grandmother used either a glass or soup can to cut out the dough for pierogi. During the great depression she didn't have money to buy a biscuit cutter and was used to doing without one.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:19:55 AM »

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »
Whenever there are kitchen type items that I need, there is one place I go.  A small store uptown in Helena that has been there for 40+ years at least. Best dang dish towels. After my divorce I need some measuring cups.. fantastic set of stainless cups that were far better than the crap she took :D
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk