Author Topic: I don't like it...  (Read 6812 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
Re: I don't like it...
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 02:16:37 PM »
A lot of people used the mnemonic Spring Ahead, Fall Back to remember what season of the year to set their clocks ahead, and what season to set them back. But 12 years ago DST was changed to make it even longer. Now we have to set our clocks ahead in Winter. What are we supposed to do now? Winter Ahead an hour? Winter Ahead, Fall Back. All of this monkeying around with the clocks every years saves 1/3 of 1% in energy costs. Is it worth the time and effort? I say no, it's not.

My computer is set to adjust itself for DST but it's the only one of 10 clocks I don't have to change manually. What a pain in the ass and for no real gain. If we have DST at all it should be in winter when the days are shorter. We could use an extra hour in the evening when it gets dark at 5:00. Why do we need extra daylight in summer when the days are longer and it doesn't get dark until 10:00? Isn't 9:00 at night enough daylight? It sucked when I was working first shift and all my neighbors who didn't have to get up as early I did were hootin' and hollerin' and partying because it was still daylight when I was trying to get to sleep.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 06:30:31 PM »
I prefer "regular time" but wish they'd just leave it on one or the other.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 11:17:22 PM »
Some countries have made DST permanent. I just found out California may make it permanent too, but it will take an act of congress. States can adopt DST or opt out of it, but not change the dates of it. I wouldn't want winter nights any shorter than they already are, but it would be better than having to reset all those clocks twice a year.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1421
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 09:12:14 AM »
I like DST and wish it WERE permanent. I like it being light later so I can get more done outside. A couple of days ago I heard something about Trump wanting to make DST standard and permanent. Here is one link to that article.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-ne-trump-daylight-saving-time-20190311-story.html
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 04:17:36 PM »
I don't care which way we go.  I just wish we would pick one.  There is a false story saying that DST was to benefit the farmer, and give them more hours of daylight for chores.  To prove that is wrong there are two things:  First, there are only so many hours of daylight, and you don't create more; Second, farmers, especially in that era, were on 12 hour cycles with their livestock, so if you gave them more light for one you just took light away from the other. 

Another falsehood is that it was created by the Chamber of Commerce to give people more light in the evening to go out and about, grill and party, and spend more money doing so.  Wrong again.

The actual reason for daylight savings time goes to the 18th century.  First suggested by Benjamin Franklin in his essay "An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light," which was published in the Journal de Paris in April 1784.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:38:40 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 04:59:37 PM »
And I thought it was so the politicians that made it law could golf for an extra hour.   ;)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 06:45:55 PM »
We need someone to make a device that puts a carrier signal on a home's AC line that has the correct time.  Then all the devices that have a clock and plug in need to be made capable of reading that carrier signal and setting their clock, so the home owner would on ly need to change the time on the carrier device.

Optionally, that carrier device could be the computer that sets it's time from the internet, or one that picks it up with one of the two ways modern "atomic" clock radios do.

Only take 30 or 40 years to get all the old devices upgraded  =)
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »
I don't care which way we go.  I just wish we would pick one.  There is a false story saying that DST was to benefit the farmer, and give them more hours of daylight for chores.  To prove that is wrong there are two things:  First, there are only so many hours of daylight, and you don't create more; Second, farmers, especially in that era, were on 12 hour cycles with their livestock, so if you gave them more light for one you just took light away from the other. 

Another falsehood is that it was created by the Chamber of Commerce to give people more light in the evening to go out and about, grill and party, and spend more money doing so.  Wrong again.

The actual reason for daylight savings time goes to the 18th century.  First suggested by Benjamin Franklin in his essay "An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light," which was published in the Journal de Paris in April 1784.

Yep.

The daylight hours are longer in summer and shorter in winter, but that is due to the Earth's position respective to the sun and not a clock.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 07:43:47 PM »
One time I heard that a radio station had a contest to see could save up the most daylight. I don't know what the winner was supposed to get.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »
While trying to find something on the daylight saving contest I found some other articles about DST. This is from the first few I looked at.

Daylight-saving time is one of humanity's dumbest rituals, and you should be furious it still happens.

In the days after DST starts or ends, researchers have observed a spike in heart attacks, increased numbers of work injuries, more automobile crashes, and higher suicide rates. The whole thing started as a way to save energy, but it's mostly stuck around (at least in the U.S.) because sporting goods manufacturers and retail stores lobby for it. Americans go out, play more sports, and buy more stuff when there are more daylight hours after school and work.

DST, in addition to not actually being invented by America's favorite founding father Benjamin Franklin, is mostly a terrible idea. It has several origins, two of which can be traced back to doddering old white dudes whose leisurely lives meant they were collecting bugs and golfing in the evening. They didn't understand why more people weren't appreciating the out-of-doors, and so introduced the idea of shifting the daylight hours, basically in order to fit their own daily routines.

One of the most commonly offered rationales for daylight saving time (yes, it's "saving," not "savings") is the presumption that by extending summer daylight later into the evening, Americans would use less energy. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to hold true. After Indiana adopted daylight saving time statewide in 2006, researchers examined power usage statistics and found that electricity consumption there rose 1% overall, with a 2% to 4% increase in the fall months. The additional power usage cost Indiana power users $9 million a year and increased pollution, to boot, the researchers found. People used less electricity for light, but those gains were canceled out by people who used more air-conditioning during the early evenings. That's because 6 p.m. felt more like 5 p.m., when the sun still shines brightly in the summer and homes haven't had the chance to cool off.

DST also increases gasoline consumption, something the petroleum industry has known since the 1930s. This is probably because evening activities, and the vehicle use they require, increase with that extra daylight. Changing the clocks also causes air-travel synchronization headaches, which sometimes leads to travel delays and lost revenue, airlines have reportedly said.

The idea that daylight saving time was created to help farmers get their harvests in is so ingrained into the national consciousness, it's hard to believe it's not true. But it's not, according to Prerau, whose 2009 book "Seize the Daylight" traces the history of the time shift. Farmers, in fact, vociferously fought the proposals, arguing they cut productivity and made life overall tougher for them. "If you want to cut off 25 per cent of the productiveness of the American farmer, just keep this law on the books," Prerau quotes one agricultural lobby as arguing during an effort to repeal daylight saving time in 1919.

Daylight-saving time is literally killing us. Disrupting your sleep cycle upsets your autonomic nervous system. You make slightly more proinflammatory molecules and you're more stressed overall. The annual ritual in which we "gain" an hour of evening light by pushing the clocks forward may seem like a harmless shift. But each year on the Monday after the springtime switch, hospitals report a 24% spike in heart-attack visits around the US. Doctors see the opposite trend in the fall: The day after we turn back the clocks, heart attack visits drop 21% as people enjoy a little extra pillow time. In the fall the shift is a blessing; in the spring it's a fatal curse. In the weeks following the shift to DST, more women undergoing in vitro fertilization have miscarriages.

The problems don't stop there. DST also causes more reports of injuries at work, more strokes, and may lead to a temporary increase in suicides. Our bodies may not fully recover from the springtime bump for weeks. The single hour of lost sleep in the switch to DST increases the fatal crash rate in the U.S. by a calculated 5.4 to 7.6 percent for a full six days following the transition. By one researcher's estimate, that's 302 more deaths over ten years. Sleep deprivation only increases the rate of workplace injuries by 5.7 percent on the Monday after the switch. But the real effect is in days of work lost to those injuries: 2,649 in total, for an increase in 67.6 percent. In the fall, when we get a bonus hour of sleep instead of losing shut-eye, there's no known injury increase.

Stock markets do slightly worse. All those probably-already-sleep-deprived-and-now-even-more-so traders on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange perform ever-so-slightly worse on the Monday after DST. NASDAQ closes, on average, about 0.3 points lower. It's worth noting that there's actually a dip on every Monday, on average, though it's smaller. Everyone's least favorite weekday often closes 0.1 points lower than other trading days. But that "ever so slight" difference is 3 times worse after DST.

https://www.popsci.com/daylight-saving-time-effects-accidents-health

https://www.businessinsider.com/daylight-saving-time-is-deadly-2018-3

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/health/daylight-saving-time-facts-and-myths-trnd/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk