Author Topic: I'm not a Prepper, I'm just prepared. Oroville, CA  (Read 3195 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
I'm not a Prepper, I'm just prepared. Oroville, CA
« on: February 16, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »
After the Oroville evacuation this past Sunday, my wife thanked me for being prepared.   We have the Car Kits, the Get Home BackPack and the BugOut bag.  She asked me what else we'd pack in the 60 minutes the Oroville people were given to leave their homes.   I whipped out my bugout list which has, in priority order, the things to take if we have time.   

BUT

What I also told here is that we would not be taking anything else beyond those kits.  Our priority would have been to get on the road before it was clogged with everybody else.    What was important in Oroville was to get safely away.  There was no societal breakdown.  50 miles one way or the other life would be normal.  Walmart would have clothes and Chick-Fil-A supper.  We mainly needed to get away more than "take" anything.   

ABOUT OROVILLE:

As Michael has been saying for some time:  You're on your own.   The poor people in Oroville had been told for several days that there was no need to panic.  No need to evacuate, then BAM, YOU GOT 60 MINUTES.   I'm hoping I would have been one to recognize the situation and to have taken a vacation on Thursday or Friday, not waiting till the last minute.      Well on a larger scale, if I lived in CA, I hope I'd have sense to have left there altogether by now.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I'm not a Prepper, I'm just prepared. Oroville, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
When the government tells you not to panic and that it's safe to stay in place, it's useful to remember that the told the people in the World Trade Centers exactly the same thing.

I think being prepared makes a lot of sense.

I think NEVER trusting government hacks also makes a lot of sense!

Michael
B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:08:33 PM »
Think I will this an example when I teach Emergency Prepared meit badge in a couple weeks.

RD

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »
if you have never read this, you might take the time....

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:09:45 PM »
I know lots of people that got evaced   lots of bad info out there in the news too.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:40:39 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:57:31 AM »
My mother in Fl. was getting evacuated so regularly that she just used it as an opportunity to vidsit friends out of state. She's looking forward to the next one as she hasn't seen those people in a couple years now.  LOL

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »
My day would beat the rush out of Sarasota, FL whenever there was the threat of a hurricane.  Typically he'd go up to Statesboro, GA, his old stompin' ground and visit old friends.   Occasionally, he'd go over to the other coast for a week and play tourist.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
So the whole Oroville thing and reading the journal of the Katrina survivors helped cement that in many local disasters, it's having everything organized so you can get out ahead of the rush.   In between my hectic work schedule over the last two months, I developed a chart and I thought I'd run it up the flagpole to see what you think.

4 elements:   The disaster itself.   The Government response.  The general populations response. And the ideal response.

Understand that depending on the nature and severity of the disaster, the placement and shape of the plots will vary.   Sometimes there's little or no precursor, earthquake.  Sometimes the precursor is indeterminate as to time and place, hurricane.  Sometimes the government won't know, or will try to hide, the pending doom, (when they say everything's going to be alright, it's not).  And even in the midst of Armageddon there will be those who haven't a clue what's happening.

My take, and it's the basis of the Katrina journal, is develop plans so you can act quickly.  Get ahead of the curve.

Will work for ammo

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
I live on the Central Gulf Coast of Fla, just north of Tampa Bay...the 2004/2005 hurricane seasons produced  9 and 4 day power outages for me... with sustained winds just around 95mph, the house has gone 125mph in gusts on multiple occasions, but not sustained... I boarded for the Cat 3 in 2004, and the house was unbearably hot without air conditioning, but other than some tree limbs down, nothing serious...sleeping comfortably was however... I relied on battery powered camping tent fans, but 90+ till midnight is still oppressive... I was still working, and had access to ice at school, so that helped... after the event I standardized my electronics and lighting to AA (Eneloops) and picked up the first of two generators, and back wired the circuit from the separate garage...after reading the Katrina journal, though, prompted me to get a light weight utility trailer, just in case I would have to evacuate with a potential for not returning... the trailer is large enough that with a ridge pole, some blue tarps, and mosquito netting I could live off the ground for a length of time...my plan is to evacuate to a relative's post Andrew building code house about 20miles away for any storm with a local projected land fall of a Cat 4 or better...65 years and a bunch of tropical storms has given me opportunities to acquire a lot of dedicated equipment and personal opinion.. anyone new to the Gulf Coast that has any questions, please feel free to ask... Les

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »
I remember Hurricane Betsy in Louisiana....we went a couple of weeks without power and then with my folks they went a month without after Katrina.  Having a portable generator was great and having a couple of small 5000 BTU air conditioners made the difference.  The battery tent fans are a great idea though....generators are very expensive to run (gasoline and oil changes) and though we had the air conditioners we only ran them when cooling down the freezer/refrigerators. 

We had two big advantages a lot of people don't have (three if you count being in a rural area).  An artesian well to keep water trickling in the house and a house on piers.  A house on a slab doesn't get the air flow to cool down like a home on piers.  Natural gas fired hot water heater kept the water that trickled in hot when someone needed hot water.  A step further, some kin folk had a central hallway in their house which allows air to flow through the home when it's hot and humid.

I'm moving back home in a couple of years and I'll have a permanent generator that runs on diesel.  Through all of my research the gas and propane/natural gas units burn a lot of expensive fuel.  Diesel is pricey too but there's more energy per $ spent.  I will be going with a British Lister style slow speed diesel...EPA has outlawed new ones but a two cylinder one for 12 HP is almost 7KW and runs at 650 RPM...forever...and only uses 0.52 gallons of diesel an hour at full power...less than $30/day.  You can run them at a higher RPM and they'll run just fine and give you 10kw output at higher consumption. 

A single cylinder 6HP slow speed with crank out 3KW all day long at 0.3 gallons of diesel an hour at max load...that's around $18/day.  Still expensive over a month's time but if you run them just to cool off the house at night then you will drop your cost down quite a bit.

I'll be buying a grandfathered unit, of course.   However a lot of people buy a Lister air compressor and then retrofit it with repair parts to become a...diesel engine.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk