Author Topic: powders  (Read 1538 times)

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
powders
« on: July 15, 2020, 11:09:44 PM »
Well it looks like the slow powders are starting to come back.  H1000, H869, IMR8133 are slowly beginning to show up.  I was able to get 4 # IMR8133, so I can start loading that for the 6.5 PRC.  The ranges are opening up here in Western Washington, (limited bench availability) but I have been able to shoot.  I am really impressed with the Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 PRC.  The barrel is broken in, and I am slowly working up the loads.  It really likes the Berger 144's.
The problem with powder being available, and brass availability, is easing up.  Speaking about brass, I have found that the Hornady brass is NOT great.  I have had 5 case inspection failures new out of the box (cracked cases in the shoulder area).  I am guessing that could be the reason I can't find Hornady brass after the first 100 I bought.
I have purchased 200 cases from Gunwerks, and they are very good.  Also, I will be annealing the cases, because the PRC brass is $2.00 each.  I have found that the chamber in my rifle is very tight, with a minimum leade to the rifling. Factory Hornady 147 grain bullets are jammed into the rifling. COL for that load is 2.950, but I have to seat to 2.900.

So life does still go on.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: powders
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:25:14 AM »
Good to hear though my only slow powder is H110 and my stocks appropriate for my usage right now.

Never bought Hornady brass.  Then I'm not what you call a "benchrest" type shooter so I haven't been as picky as others. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk