Author Topic: LNL Shellplate storage  (Read 3524 times)

captdave221

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LNL Shellplate storage
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »
I store some of my shellplates in the plastic containers they were sold in but I have 2 that I bought off  of ebay which did not come with the plastic case. Anyone have ideas on best way to store the shellplates and keep them from corroding (rusting)? Don't like just keeping them in zip lock bags with a lube on them.

Any other ideas?

clarkemyers

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LNL Shellplate storage
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 05:40:48 AM »
I like vapor phase inhibitors in mechanic's roll aways and top boxes. Used to be scratch and dent from Sears. Lately it's Harbor Freight.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: LNL Shellplate storage
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 09:28:04 AM »
They're steel?   I got to go down and check.   I thought they were aluminium. 

I don't have a storage option for you, since all of mine were new.   

I do write with sharpie on the outside the plate # and the ammo it's used for, e.g., ".44"  ".458"  etc
I do have separate plates for .45 and .308, btw.

So while we're talking shell plates here's my storage ritual.

When I store a plate, I use Hornady's One Shot and thoroughly clean top and bottom.   I then put just the tiniest dab of lcp over the bearings.

When I get a plate out (SURPRISE it's all clean) I put a healthy drop of Beeman Spring Oil on each bearing.   This is a very high viscosity, clear lube and I hope it makes the plate turn smoother and last a long time.

Needless to say, before I mount a plate I thoroughly clean the head including all the crevasses and the indents.

100,000+ rounds and still going.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk