Author Topic: Unconventional Carry Opinions  (Read 11506 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Unconventional Carry Opinions
« on: January 31, 2017, 04:44:21 PM »
As some of you may know, we own a CanAm Spyder Motorcycle (trike with two wheels in front).  Currently I legally carry a Ruger LCP in my coat/pants pocket while riding.  We have the RT which is the touring model with king/queen seats and etc.  Until recently, I have been satisfied with the LCP but with longer and longer trips in mind I have decided to upgrade to my Shield or a Sig 938 or a Glock 26 or similar.  Now comes the unconventional part or you could say out of the box idea.  Michael Bane has mentioned the chest carry (as opposed to shoulder holster carry) for heavy armament in the field.  Any thoughts on this carry mode using suitable holster/harness if I can find someone to make it for me?  I was thinking a nontraditional coat/cover garment with a two way zipper so that I could have it partially unzipped from the bottom in cold weather and a oversize shirt in the warmer weather.  I know some of you ride and I'm pretty sure Michael Bane did so hopefully he can chime in.  The traditional belt holster isn't out of the question but the element of surprise enters in to it also.

TIA

Richard 

Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Timothy

Re: Unconventional Carry Opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
How about some cold weather gear with built in internal holsters.

My Carhartt jackets hold my LCR quite nicely!

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »
Might  work  for  cold  but  thinking  of  warm  too.  Also  have  to  consider  weight  distribution.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:19:28 PM »
They make light jackets with internal holsters, too.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:43:07 AM »
While the chances of you going down on are lower tgen a 2 wheeled bike.   I would not want to land on anything hard like a gun(keys, cell, etc)  its going to kake a bad thing worse.  When I road I kpet everything in the bag, including the gun.  Min was apadded back pack iI lashed to the seat.  That way when I went inside I just grabed it and went inside.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:07:47 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »
No off body carry.
Think access, and concealment Even in August in the desert you can wear a light vest or jacket that will cover a chest or shoulder holster. You are not real likely to need the gun until you stopped then you would be unzipping anyway.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »
While  I  appreciate  the  input,  my  op  questioned  the  use  of  a  chest  carry  holster  rig.  My  thinking  on  this  is  icoe,  presentation  of  a  pistol  from  this  carry  mode  would  be  unexpected  and  somewhat  easier  than  other  options.  Off  body  isn't  an  option.  Also,  although  I  doubt  I  would  ever  get  into  a  running  gun  battle,  I  could,  if  necessary  hit  the  cruise  control  and  make  a  draw  or  my  wife  could  reach  around  and  draw.  Lots  of  "what  if's  here.

Richard 

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
I carried IWB for my main gun and my BUG in a special-made inside pocket in a custom leather vest.

Something like this (below) under a light jacket, coat, or vest (depending on weather) would work.

http://gunfightersinc.com/products/kenai-chest-holster/

They ain't cheap, but they look like they would do well for what you seek.

ebay might have something less expensive.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
Is this not a case for the :"Safe PAcker" that Michele is always talking about.  I do not have one but I recall him talking about using it a lot.  I am sure it is in the Blog and likely the advertisements.  I think the supplier is Outdoor Systems or something similar.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »
Peg,  MB  uses  a rig  similar to  that.  I  think  when  he  goes  hiking.  That  is  exactly  what  I' m  thinking  about. 
nosimij,  the  Safe Packer might  work  in  some  applications  but  it  isn't  exactly  what  I  am  looking  for  for  this  application  and  it  is  "off body" which  I  don't  want.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk