Author Topic: Some Inauguration Day Irony  (Read 3760 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Some Inauguration Day Irony
« on: January 20, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »
Funny tidbit on inauguration day:

We missed the live inauguration ceremony because of errands in town. When we got back home, I checked the mail and had two manila envelopes from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Back during the summer I ordered, and received, two (one for my father and one for my father-in-law) veterans folded-flag service medallions to affix to their respective gravestones. I figured these envelopes might be related, and upon opening them, found a Presidential Memorial Certificate for each........signed (I know it's an auto-pen signature, but hey) by GUESS WHO?? ... Yep...BHO.  :o  :o

The irony that it came on his last day as PotUS was not lost on my wife and me.

There's a form for ordering additional copies for family members.... I will get a few more, wondering if they'll have Trump's signature?

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: Some Inauguration Day Irony
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »
That's a good question.    I didn't now about the folded flag if you privately purchased a headstone.  Though I knew you could get headstones. 

Now I am going order one for my dad.  After I wait a bit for the signature to change.

It's a shame it's 1990 or later decease date.  I'd like my grandfather to have one; he passed in '68.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »
Wait.  Fill me in on the details.   Headstone marker?   Who's eligible?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
http://www.cem.va.gov/hmm/

National Cemetery Administration

Headstones, Markers and Medallions

Important Links

Eligibility for a Headstone, Marker or Medallion

Order a Headstone, Marker or Medallion

Types of Headstones, Markers and Medallions Available

Replacement Headstones and Markers

Pre-World War I Era Headstones and Markers

Headstone and Marker Inscription Abbreviations

General Information

Sample Headstone

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant, a Government headstone or marker for the unmarked grave of any deceased eligible Veteran in any cemetery around the world, regardless of their date of death.

For eligible veterans that died on or after Nov. 1, 1990 and whose grave is marked with a privately purchased headstone, VA may also furnish a headstone or marker to supplement the graves or a Medallion to be affixed to a privately purchased headstone.

Flat markers in granite, marble, and bronze and upright headstones in granite and marble are available. Bronze niche markers are also available to mark columbaria used for inurnment of cremated remains. The style chosen must be permitted by the officials in charge of the private cemetery where it will be placed.

When burial or memorialization is in a national cemetery, state Veterans' cemetery, or military post/base cemetery, a headstone or marker will be ordered by the cemetery officials based on inscription information provided by the next of kin or authorized representative.

Spouses and dependents are not eligible for a Government-furnished headstone or marker unless they are buried in a national cemetery, state Veteran's cemetery, or military post/base cemetery.

Note: There is no charge for the headstone or marker itself, however arrangements for placing it in a private cemetery are the applicant's responsibility and all setting fees are at private expense.

Setting Government Headstones and Markers

Cemetery staff in national, military post, and military base cemeteries are responsible for setting the headstone or marker at no cost to the applicant. Some state Veterans' cemeteries may charge the applicant a nominal fee for setting a Government-furnished headstone or marker.

Arrangements for setting a Government-furnished headstone or marker in a private cemetery are the applicant's responsibility and all placement costs are at private expense.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 06:23:11 AM »
Wait.  Fill me in on the details.   Headstone marker?   Who's eligible?

Dead people.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:31:22 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
Dead people.

You know, dealing with the VA you do have to be very specific.  Or at least they do.  And I'm sure in their check list are two line items:  x)  Is it a person?  y)  Are they dead?

Will work for ammo

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 11:25:08 AM »
Thanks Rastus I logged in today to add that link, realizing I'd omitted it in the OP.

Here is the link directly to the PDF form.

http://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA40-1330M.pdf

If you have the deceased family member's DD-214, that is best.
My father-in-law's military records were in an alphabetical lot that was lost in an archive fire back in the early 70's, so they sent a certified letter attesting to his service dates, rank at discharge, and discharge status.
I just sent photo copies of my dad's DD-214 and my f-i-l's letter with the above form and about two months later the medallions arrived.

The memorial letter, I had no idea was coming. I looked into it, and you can request just the Presidential Memorial Certificate by itself, and can order additional copies for family members.

http://www.cem.va.gov/pmc.asp

http://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA40-0247.pdf

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll have to check with the cemetery to see if I can do this.   Dad's is an in ground marker.
Will work for ammo

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 02:31:56 PM »
Alf, they have several styles of plaques as well as the medallions. Maybe one will work for what you need. The niche marker might work.

http://www.cem.va.gov/cem/hmm/types.asp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk