Author Topic: Easy way to add a rail to a 1911  (Read 6921 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Easy way to add a rail to a 1911
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 03:12:41 PM »
I was thinking about this comment last night and came to the conclusion that although JMB didn't put an attachment for an oil lamp on the 1911 he didn't anticipate high intensity weapons lights that are small enough and light enough to mount on a handgun. Tyhe man was a freakin' genius but couldn't predict what would happen 100 years in the future.

LOL I'm not so sure about that, we're still using 2 of his pistols and his machine guns, Hiram Maxim can't say that.  His only competitor is Richard Gatling.

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 04:39:30 PM »
That was my first thought too, Tom!

Haha

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
the m 2 is not going away any time soon.

its used land, sea and air. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 05:56:00 AM »
Not bad for a gun that started out with a water jacket.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »
I worked on a lot of M2s in the army and almost all were made at A.C. Spark Plug in my home town of Flint, MI during WWII. I also worked on M85 .50 caliber machine guns. There were some things better about the M85 but the M2 was a better all-around gun. Wikipedia says the M85 was extremely unreliable but I didn't see that problem. It wasn't a complicated design like they said either. It had about the same number of parts as the M2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M85_machine_gun
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:05:23 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »
the main reason they made the m85 was to make it smaller....  the bad part is they have different links, so if you get the wrong one you are screwed.   
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
IIRC on the M2 the round is pulled backward out of the link before it feeds and on the M85 it just pushes through like most other machine guns.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk