Author Topic: Easy way to add a rail to a 1911  (Read 6952 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Easy way to add a rail to a 1911
« on: January 14, 2017, 11:10:15 PM »
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

Re: Easy way to add a rail to a 1911
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:57:30 AM »
I hate the idea of hanging crap off my guns.
If JMB wanted you to have a light ,coffee maker ,and cell phone he would have added a USB port.
The ONLY thing I would consider adding to a pistol is a reddot sight, but now a days it's hard to find even a revolver that doesn't have one of those ugly ass rails marring it's lines.
What really irks me is that with laser grips and guide rod lights and lasers, there's no need for it.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:07:30 AM »
I was going to say those grip rail things really look sharp but now I'm afraid of pissin' off Tom.  He invoked JMB and, so, yes I don't like the rail things so much on the 1911 in a natural sense being heavy metal and all.  I have a laser in the grip of one of mine.....but that plastic add on...I dunno...maybe I'm pickin' up on a Tupperware virus?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
I think a light on a bedside gun would be a good idea. There's no way I know of to put one on one of my Paras without gluing or screwing a rail to the dust cover which I don't want to do. If I had a standard 1911 I would probably get these grips and put a light on it. If I didn't like it I could take them back off and there isn't any permanent change.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »
write a check to Caspian for $302 and get a rail frame  8)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:44:14 AM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 04:39:42 PM »
I vaguely remember a company that made an addon rail.....Dawson maybe......Wilson maybe.  Drill and tap a couple holes if memory serves me.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »
I vaguely remember a company that made an addon rail.....Dawson maybe......Wilson maybe.  Drill and tap a couple holes if memory serves me.

Richard

Rail is available in sizes that can easily be added to the frame or the slide.  It is all about the machine work, and adding rails is not difficult.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 07:25:47 PM »

Richard

I've seen those but that's what I like about these rail/grip combinations, you don't make any permanent changes to the gun. No milling, drilling or anything like that.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »
I hate the idea of hanging crap off my guns.
If JMB wanted you to have a light ,coffee maker ,and cell phone he would have added a USB port.
The ONLY thing I would consider adding to a pistol is a reddot sight, but now a days it's hard to find even a revolver that doesn't have one of those ugly ass rails marring it's lines.
What really irks me is that with laser grips and guide rod lights and lasers, there's no need for it.

I was thinking about this comment last night and came to the conclusion that although JMB didn't put an attachment for an oil lamp on the 1911 he didn't anticipate high intensity weapons lights that are small enough and light enough to mount on a handgun. The man was a freakin' genius but couldn't predict what would happen 100 years in the future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk