Author Topic: MecTec ?  (Read 11208 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: MecTec ?
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 09:13:59 PM »
Ellis... not with a MechTech but I shoot the same load in my G34 as my 16" PCC... a 3.6 load of WSF and 135 Bayou coated gives me a 130pf with the pistol, and 146pf with the 9mm carbine... about 120fps difference

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 10:49:04 PM »
I totally missed this thread last year.  Too much work.  However, I'm glad it was revised.  I didn't know about these conversions per se'.  Now, I see they make a 1911 frame model for 10MM.  Sounds like something I'll need to check in too.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 11:35:31 PM »
I totally missed this thread last year.  Too much work.  However, I'm glad it was revised.  I didn't know about these conversions per se'.  Now, I see they make a 1911 frame model for 10MM.  Sounds like something I'll need to check in too.

If I'm not mistaken they've made 10mm 1911 and Glock conversions for a long time. AFAIK the XD conversions have only been around a few years, but I don't keep up with things like that. There are no 10mm XD conversions.

As far as velocity is concerned, Ballistics By The Inch has a lot of loads listed for all 5 calibers. Some are barely any faster from a 16" barrel than a 4.5 or 5" and some are around 300 FPS faster. http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 06:06:02 AM »
I have a Kimber Eclipse II in 10MM.  I wonder about loading with rifle powder to use the extra barrel length??? 

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
I have a Kimber Eclipse II in 10MM.  I wonder about loading with rifle powder to use the extra barrel length???

If you can find a load published by a reputable source go for it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:21:50 PM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »
Rastus... I've been fooling with a 9mm blow back carbine for a while, and the blow back design is a different animal...I don't think I'd try to hot rod it as you would a locked breech firearm.. a friend chambered a MecTec in 9x25 (10mm case necked to 9mm) and got straight wall 10mm brass ejected... the game players are loading light bullets with VitaVuory triple based powders...

Rudy Koester at Macon Armory makes a locked breech DI carbine, I believe in 10mm

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »
Rastus... I've been fooling with a 9mm blow back carbine for a while, and the blow back design is a different animal...I don't think I'd try to hot rod it as you would a locked breech firearm.. a friend chambered a MecTec in 9x25 (10mm case necked to 9mm) and got straight wall 10mm brass ejected... the game players are loading light bullets with VitaVuory triple based powders...

Rudy Koester at Macon Armory makes a locked breech DI carbine, I believe in 10mm

It would be interesting to know what caliber MechTech they started with. It seems like there would be a difference in spring strength and/or bolt weight between a 9mm and a .460 Rowland and calibers in between. If the conversions can handle .460 they should be able to handle 9x25 too.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 09:20:26 PM »
Jumbo... this was several years ago... they started with a 9mm barrel and ran a 9x25 reamer in it

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 09:55:20 PM »
Jumbo... this was several years ago... they started with a 9mm barrel and ran a 9x25 reamer in it

I can see why there would be a problem with it operating at a higher pressure and double the energy it was designed for. You can't change things that much on a blow-back and expect it to work right. If the bolt had a large chunk of tungsten in it, or the recoil spring was twice as strong it might have worked.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 06:37:15 AM »
Well, I think I'll call them this week and find out what they can do for 10MM.  I want to shoot full powered ammo and likely something from DoubleTap which is pretty hot.

Now, if I could just find an MP5 in 10MM....hmmm...naw, as rare as hen's teeth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk