Author Topic: Piston Build  (Read 4155 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Piston Build
« on: December 25, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »
Eldest son wants to build an AR with piston instead of gas impingement.

I see there is a Superlative Arms piston kit that looks OK and the Osprey which a couple of people have recommended to me.

So...I was going to get him all the parts for an upper for Christmas until this came up...dang pistons are expensive.

So he got a barrel and some misc. parts instead.  His birthday in in February so I'll probably choke up for the piston then. 

One of the issues is handguard...as in I want a "low profile" piston if there is such a thing. 

Any knowledge on this?  Recommendations?  Actual use?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Piston Build
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 07:38:33 PM »
Pistons run as a minority of the ARs.   The idea was to solve all the problems with the GI (did Stoner intend for that to be a pun?) system.   Of course pistons just bring their own problems, with added cost.   No Free Lunch.   One of the costs, as you're discovering is availability of parts. 

But on the other hand, you and son now can spend many an hour researching and finding parts together.  All isn't lost.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »
Yeah...I'm not big on it.  He wants one and I'm hoping someone has here has done the work on it already.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 10:05:17 PM »
has he actually shot one... it has been several years, but the early guns were IMHO fore end heavy and more recoil than my DI carbines... good luck on your decision... for me, as I don't shoot a full auto, it is an answer to an un asked question... my 10.3 and 10.5 barrels both shoot reliably without a piston

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 02:19:19 AM »
No Les, he hasn't shot one. 

He says he wants one because it's quieter suppressed.  I dunno if that's true or not.

I don't see the need for one. 

The quest continues....

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:38:26 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 06:59:59 AM »
I have heard that there is a problem with piston AR's where the bolt batters the buffer retaining pin.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »
This is what Stag arms says about pistons. "The action of a piston rifle remains cool and clean, even after shooting 100 rounds in rapid succession. The bolt carrier can be removed immediately and held in your hand without burning yourself. The trade off for the action staying cool and clean is that you will experience snappier recoil when shooting which makes the piston rifle a little less accurate, especially for follow up shots. Finally, piston system parts are not interchangeable between manufacturers due to there being no set standard and the use of proprietary pistons and bolt carriers."
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk