Author Topic: Linear Comp for AR  (Read 4334 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Linear Comp for AR
« on: December 23, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »
I just installed one of these....

I got tired of everyone being "out of stock" on the Levangs. I saw them on ebay last week for $35 shipped from a one-man shop in Arizona. I got it within three days, and since my younger son was sighting in a few rifles, I went along to function test my AR pistol build. It had been collecting dust on my bench for a few months, waiting patiently for me to get some free time.

The gun functioned flawlessly, but as luck would have it, today was the day the battery decided to die in my Red Dot (can't fuss, it's only 12 years old).

Not much recoil. but the blast is big....BUT all goes forward away from the shooter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-28-223-5-56-6-port-Linear-Comp-w-free-crush-washer-Custom-Made-/182387072601?hash=item2a771dde59:g:LQ0AAOSw5cNYEltk

Photos later.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Linear Comp for AR
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 08:40:59 AM »
Cool.  Certainly beats waiting on a LeVang.  Reasonable price.

Only question is why would you need a crush washer?  It's symmetrical.  Unless you're severely OCD and want the flat sides to be perfectly vertical or horizontal.   Of course the washer could just act as a lock washer, but I'd save the crush washer for with other comps/hiders and just use a lock nut.

From a self-defense standpoint, especially close quarter, I love how everything is directed down-range.  As I said with my 10" pistol, if I miss the shock and awe alone will make the perp question their presence in my house.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
Alf,
I didn't use the washer....didn't see the need, and the washer diameter was ever so slightly larger than the 3/4" diameter of the comp (also same as the barrel) and wouldn't allow the use of the free-float end cap.

Mine is a 7 1/2" barrel, and we didn't notice a bright flash, but I will shoot it in lower light conditions just to get an idea of what it might be (might shoot video). The concussion is quite a "whump" but all is directed forward as intended. It is loud but nothing like a standard brake...and I suspect the volume is partly due to closer proximity to the muzzle itself, compared to a standard carbine length barrel.

Recoil is negligible.....with a good cheek-weld on the foam buffer cover, I never lost sight through the 30mm dot scope. The dot was dead, but for testing function, I could still look through the scope.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 06:04:53 PM »
I would put a split lock washer like the one used on an M16A1 on it. They're very cheap and hold really well.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 06:53:47 PM »
I would put a split lock washer like the one used on an M16A1 on it. They're very cheap and hold really well.

That is my future intention. It is what I ended up doing when I put a brake on my carbine.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:39:09 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk