Author Topic: Well, that was weird!  (Read 4668 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
Well, that was weird!
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:43:43 am »
Yesterday (Wednesday), I was out and about, and had to stop at 2 stores in a small mall here in my uber-progressive town. I parked a row in from one line of stores since I had to go to another store 90 degrees to the left of the first.

So I was walking through the row of cars, and as I walked across the roadway in the shopping center, a guy parked directly in front of the store I was going to rockets backwards nearly hitting me - in fact I believe he would have if I had not stepped to the left. As he continues past me, I knock on his driver's window with my knuckle just to let him know I was there and still uncomfortably close. If he had pulled backwards with the back of his car going to the right, he WOULD have hit me with the front of his car in spite of my sidestepping him.

Anyhow, I kept walking, thinking nothing more of the event when I hear something behind me. He has stopped his car - in the parking lot roadway - and is approaching me across a distance of 20-25 feet. I think he is going to apologize for almost hitting me and to make sure I'm alright. WRONG! He stops with his face about a foot from mine and shouts at me "I didn't see you! You ever put your hands on my car again I'll punch you in the face!"

What happened next surprised the heck out of me. Without even thinking about it, I looked him in the eyes (I was wearing sunglasses, he was not), stepped back with my right foot to turn my body away from him, and at the same time put my right hand under my untucked shirt and grabbed the grip on my concealed pistol. Then these words came out of my mouth:

"If you put your hands on me, it will be the last effing thing you ever do."

I have never said that to anyone in my life, and have not even practiced saying it. More to the point, I said it coolly, calmly, like I was ordering a pizza, whereas he was shouting. I'm guessing the stance (this IS Kentucky, even if in an uber-liberal town - for reference see my post http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=31308.msg307098#msg307098, the sunglasses, the fact I was cool and calm, and maybe even the fact I hadn't shaved for a few days all worked to make him rethink the situation, as he shouted again "I didn't see you" and went back to his car.

To my chagrin, I totally misread the situation at first, did not notice the look on his face nor did I scan his hands that I am aware of. So 2 major errors on my part. Maybe more by not backing up a bit more to add distance (he would have closed with me in any event I believe), and putting myself off-balance by stepping back with 1 foot to hide access to my gun.

Any other thoughts? Any other way I could have defused the situation differently?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

The Down Range TV Forum

Well, that was weird!
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:43:43 am »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
Re: Well, that was weird!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 04:59:14 am »
I guess the legal side would be that while you felt assaulted, threatening to escalate to deadly force may not have been wise.   However, it worked and he stepped down.

Once you knocked on his window, some might also say you committed the first assault.   Granted he almost ran over you but that could be viewed not as on purpose but simple careless driving.

Not defending the other guy, just thinking what his attorney might say.

BUT, these things happen in such a short span of time, there isn't time to think through all the scenarios, just time to react. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW SOG 1968-1972

Timothy

• Sea Spy
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger - NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 05:51:01 am »
I'm with Alf on this one...

Had I reacted similarly here in the Peoples Republic, I've committed the felonious act of brandishing!  Jail, gun rights striped, fines, etc...

I have been run over by a car, it's not fun...   As to the initial reaction, I'm an avoidance advocate to the point that I won't go near a mall or shopping center until well after the holidays are over.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:03:23 am »
Timothy.  Didn't know we were in the same club.   The run-over-by-a-car-club.    There's some claim to fame on mine as it was a 1930's Model A with 8 cheerleaders in it.     
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW SOG 1968-1972

Timothy

• Sea Spy
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger - NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 08:51:08 am »
Not so fortunate to have the cheerleader aspect, Alf!

1984-85 Plymouth minivan driven by an illiterate immigrant.  Hit and run on my bike...they found him down the block and dragged him back to the scene...

PegLeg45

• Chuck Goins: NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 09:05:52 am »

Anyhow, I kept walking, thinking nothing more of the event when I hear something behind me. He has stopped his car - in the parking lot roadway - and is approaching me across a distance of 20-25 feet. I think he is going to apologize for almost hitting me and to make sure I'm alright. WRONG! He stops with his face about a foot from mine and shouts at me "I didn't see you! You ever put your hands on my car again I'll punch you in the face!"

I think this area is the most critical.
Everything before could possibly be argued that it was reactionary to a sudden unexpected event.
Everything after this point kinda took place also as a reaction to this pivotal point.

If there is a "failure" to be recognized, it is not watching in 360 degrees and not being aware that he was on you so quick and so close.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined...The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."~Patrick Henry

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

"We are far out on a limb......the wind is blowing, people have saws....and the tree is old." ~ PegLeg

PriseDeFer

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:41:01 am »
  Knocking on his car window and walking on was a gesture.  And your failure.  If you're packing heat you don't indulge yourself in gestures.  You side stepped the incident and it was over, he was no longer a threat to you.  If he came at you after the window knock it could be reasonably argued to be a separate incident.  That you started.

Rastus

• Join the NRA ! Today!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 06:33:10 pm »
Did you really knock on the window with your knuckles or was it an instinctive movement to prevent falling into the vehicle as it was moving?  The fact that the knuckles let him know you were there may simply be a bad way of explaining what happened?

I think I would have turned and put my body sideways to him with my weak hand up between he and I while my strong hand was readied to draw if attacked.  Then scan and reassess.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 12:52:16 pm »
Did you really knock on the window with your knuckles or was it an instinctive movement to prevent falling into the vehicle as it was moving?  The fact that the knuckles let him know you were there may simply be a bad way of explaining what happened?

I think I would have turned and put my body sideways to him with my weak hand up between he and I while my strong hand was readied to draw if attacked.  Then scan and reassess.

Actually, it was both, one of those situations where things happen very quickly and yet your mind processes a number of things almost at once.  I turned sideways as I stepped to the left to avoid a very rapidly moving vehicle, was literally right beside the car, thought about my toes and his tires, I remember seeing the car's mirror heading at me, thought I need to avoid it and let him know there is a person here, reached out to shove myself back from the car avoiding (I hoped) the mirror AND tapping the car to alert the driver. Hitting the glass was just a matter of where my hand was at that moment - I just wanted to knock on the car somewhere and shove away to clear the mirror/wheels. The whole near-miss event took less time than for you to say "Actually, it was both", he was moving that fast.

The guy was maybe half my age and fitter than I, about the same height (not counting his hat), but in retrospect I needed to find another approach than to reach for the butt of the pistol. There was very little space between us, as I noted in my OP his face when he stopped to yell at me was maybe 10-12" from mine. So putting my weak hand up would have likely hit him first.

OTOH, Rastus, I think you will appreciate this, I think I said what I did, what I said and the way I said it for a reason not of my own doing. There have been a few occasions where words have come out of my mouth without ever even forming a thought to say something specific. In those cases it was clear to me that there was direction was not coming from me but from elsewhere.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books