Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 10340 times)

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »
I've been taking D3 for a few years but my problem was waking up with leg cramps every night.I've started taking a magnesium supplement  a few days ago and so far I haven't woke up with a leg cramp.Fingers crossed.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
I'm feeling real bad with all this talk about how wonderful D is for you.

I checked and between my vitamin and supplements I'm already getting 1,500 a day and I'm not feeling all that much better.   Actually I'm afraid how bad I'll feel if I stop taking my pills.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Timothy

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 09:20:26 AM »
There have been a few studies over the last few years that suggest that multivitamins aren't really necessary.  If you're eating a balanced diet of fresh produce, good lean meats, dairy, carbs, etc. then the extra dose is generally going down the toilet.

Now, if your diet consists of primarily boxed, heavily process foods or fast foods then by all means, take something over the counter.

My sister ate ridiculous amounts of supplements in her thirties and forties but smoking killed her at 56! 

Diet and movement, when I'm active, my knees feel better, my body feels better, everything feels better!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
I've been taking D3 for a few years but my problem was waking up with leg cramps every night.I've started taking a magnesium supplement  a few days ago and so far I haven't woke up with a leg cramp.Fingers crossed.

You may want to try calcium for those leg cramps. Some people swear by it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 05:16:20 AM »
It's been about a week since I started taking the magnesium supplement and haven't woke up with a leg cramp since.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:10:06 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »
Magnesium also helps, I've heard, ward off heart attacks.  The number 40% comes to mind...40%-60% of heart attack victims have low magnesium as I can remember.  Anyway, it's a big number so the magnesium may be helping you in other ways.

I had forgotten and haven't taken any for a while.  I'm glad you brought it up.  Stress is a big suck on magnesium and I've had nothing but stress the last year or so...

Potassium may help your cramps too...but too much of that is bad for the heart.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 10:48:52 AM »
Bunny said she had been experiencing leg cramps for awhile.  Only happened at night when she was trying to sleep.  She hadn't mentioned it until I said something about forgetting to take a Magnesium tab.  That reminded her about all the things Magnesium is good for.

Anyway, she took a tab yesterday, and had no cramps last night.

Seems too quick to me, but I haven't had leg cramps for months since I started taking a supplement.  Maybe it works quickly, huh?

FWIW
Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 05:38:39 AM »
Anyway, she took a tab yesterday, and had no cramps last night. Seems too quick to me, but I haven't had leg cramps for months since I started taking a supplement.  Maybe it works quickly, huh?

FWIW
Crusader Rabbit

A lot of this stuff does. Especially if your body is in need of it, and is craving it. Once it gets into your blood stream, (which happens in a matter of a few hours), the positive results can be had from it very quickly.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »
ICU?
A genetic clotting disorder, combined with a desk job and 2.5-3 hours commuting for 4 months caused a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis-Big Blood Clot) in my right leg, getting back into the gym and doing some heavy'ish squats knocked said blood clot loose, up through my heart and one end into each lung, AKA Saddle Pulmonary Embolism.  I was among the 20% that survive and walked around like that for another 11 days before I made it to my doctor (went to Urgent care 5 days after and got an inhaler) who sent me to get a CT scan where they saw the clot and promptly flipped the F out.  5 days in ICU with IV blood thinners and stool softener I got out.  9 months later, last month, I set 4 state power lifting records for my age and weight :D
After I got out I struggled with fatigue which was partially attributed to my condition but looking at my test panels, no shortage of data there, we realized my Vitamin D and Iron were both low.  Started taking them and I feel pretty good  8)
He who dares wins.  SAS

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 07:44:22 AM »
Here's my personal update on the Vitamin D supplement I've been taking. 

As I noted before, I really didn't have anything positive to report--no boundless energy; no painless knees;  nothing special, at all.

Until last week...

I rather suddenly realized that my knees weren't nearly as painful as usual, and walking didn't cause me any particular amount of pain.  I haven't regressed to what I was 25 years ago, but I have to admit to feeling a lot better than a couple of months ago.  Even my energy level is up.

So, Billt, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm going to keep taking 2,000 iu caps daily, and a Vitamin D level will be part of my semi-annual bloodwork protocol. 

A grateful Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk