Author Topic: hog getter....  (Read 7031 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
hog getter....
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:30:54 PM »
so I am in the market for a 308 semi auto.   I can't decide between m1a and an ar 10.

any one have any "imo"s

ps no I can't afford both.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: hog getter....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:45:24 PM »
Depends on how you hunt them I'd say.  I have a Rock River .308 with 26" barrel.  It's a real pain in the behind to carry with a mag in it. 

Standard AR 10 will be better. 

I'd go with AR10 Carbine if there are a high number of targets and not a lot of carry.

If I am hiking a ways I'd side with an M1A and low capacity mag and swap out to high capacity when at hunting location.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 06:03:21 PM »
I don't hunt them any more.... see the pics of the scar on my leg lol.

I am looking strickly for destruction from my back porch if I see them.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »
I have both a DPMS AP-4 .308 Carbine, and a Springfield SOCOM 16 M1-A. Both run great, and are a blast to shoot. The SOCOM is more expensive. They run around $2K out the door now. You can pick up a DPMS .308 depending on configuration for around $1,100.00 give or take. You can pick up a plain Jane standard M1-A for around $1,600.00. The AR platform uses cheaper P-Mags, (around $20 a piece). The Springfield magazines are a bit more expensive, and not as common. But you can easily get both on line. In the end you can't go wrong with either. As most always with guns, it comes down to what appeals to you.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »
I've had two M1As, an L1A1 inch pattern FAL, and more recently a 16" AR10...if you are going to mount a scope the AR is the best platform, and mine came with a pretty good trigger...I don't hunt, so during the last panic I sold the last of them...if you have good eyes, the M1A is a blast to shoot... if you can see it, you can hit it

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:44:25 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 05:17:26 AM »
I decided to go with the FNAR.    It's probably the less expensive of the options.   Not very "tactical" looking, but I like that.  The mags aren't too expensive, it's pretty reliable and shoots well.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 05:57:11 AM »
Ar carbine has 3 advantages, much simpler disassembly, drop free magazines, and side eject so your empties aren't bouncing off the scope.
The M1-A has walnut and steel

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 06:01:42 AM »
Ar carbine has 3 advantages, much simpler disassembly, drop free magazines, and side eject so your empties aren't bouncing off the scope.
The M1-A has walnut and steel

True. The AR is also a gas impingement system, where as the M1-A is piston driven. The gas impingement system is more forgiving in regards to the type of ammo that can be fired. You can safely shoot slower burning powders, without damaging things like op rods and the like. M1-A's, like Garands can be much more ammo sensitive.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 06:07:35 AM »
Alf brings up a good option with the FNAL.  I like that one over the M1A.

But now that you mentioned shooting off the back porch I'm going back to the Rock River with the 26" bull barrel.  It takes plentiful and cheap FAL mags and mine shoots like a dream...coke cans at 300 yards not a problem. 

Just it's heavy and a bit unwieldy but recovery from recoil is quicker than an AR10 carbine.  You get a lot of accurate shots out of an AR style with a bipod off a rest on the back porch.   
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 06:14:40 AM »
Personally, I'd go with 16 - 20 inch barrel, nothing longer. There's no need.
For what you seem to want there is no need for anything more tan 16 inch.
It's not like you're going to be shooting 500-1000 yards unless you have one heck of a back yard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk