Author Topic: Going back to work  (Read 4956 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Going back to work
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 12:56:07 AM »
I honestly think we will see 20% unemployment in the private sector if she does. soon the rest of the country will be like ca is... where 50%+ of the population is paid by the gov in one way or another.

I was talking to a friend last night about this, how small businesses in ca have to cheat to stay alive.   there is no way you can pay every thing you are suppose to and make any money $

I know in ca my shop rate was $275 and after all was said and done I was lucky to bring home 25 of that.

where as here, my shop rate is $185  and I bring home 40 of it.

and before you say, wow that sounds great...  remember I have almost 2 mil in tools/trucks/ equipment  and I am tiny.  my uncle  locally has 17 mill in it and he only has 9 employees.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 05:12:52 AM »
I'm on my fourth career.   Haven't clawed my way up the ladder, but the job is a lot more fun, more relaxed and satisfying, so I haven't even tried.   While I'm earning 1/3 of what I was 20 years ago, I'm at least earning and enjoying life.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 10:01:37 PM »
Almost through my first week.  I love building automation but right now is the calm before the storm.  There are 10 more temps starting Monday and parts will drop on Tuesday.  I am just helping set up shadow boards for the temps (making a stencil, tomorrow I'll be painting and probably building a few more peg boards)-busy work for the most part.

The cool thing is a lot of the 'good guys' I used to work with landed at this place-15'ish.  I already touched base with the company machinist (3 axis CNC vertical Machining Center guy that is running Manual Machines with converstational controls-quick for small runs but not so much for volume) and I am sure I'll have the opportunity to help him out. 

All in all, it looks promising and I would love to be a full time employee as opposed to a lowly temp (not that management treats you that way but the "long term contractors" get their shots in).  OT will be coming quick and I signed up for a power lifting meet Dec 3 & 4, Wester USPA Regionals, with the owner of my gym and 4 other guys.  I'm not sure how many 240-275 lbs 45-49 year-old guys still lift but I am sure I'll find out  ;)

Life is good and getting better... :)
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 06:17:39 AM »
Are those milling machines Proto Trac's ?
I always HATED those SOB's.
Hard enough to switch from G code to conversational, but every model was different, so what worked on one was useless on the others.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
Are those milling machines Proto Trac's ?

Nope. EZTraks.  Which I have runfor the past 10 years  ;)  They also have a Hardinge lathe, which I have ran the past 10 years, great for turning threads and concentricity because of the 5C collets.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:35:03 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk