Author Topic: Going back to work  (Read 4957 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Going back to work
« on: October 19, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
After 3 months and a week of Unenjoyment I am going to work with a bunch of guys I used to work with building automation.  The sad thing is it pays more than machining, is less technical, easier and less stressful.  I will be making less than I was building automation a year and a half ago, less than I was as a Project Manager by 33%, working in a position I moved up from 6 years ago, and working for a temp agency with so-so benefits through next July (unless I either find something better or the company hires me).  Apparently my Business degree doesn't mean JACK-SQUAT (channeling my inner Chris Farley) in this job market. :o  50+ resumes submitted and up on Job boards and I have had a whopping 4 interviews.  I could have taken this job a year ago had I not been hung up on using my degree. ::)

I can only imagine the job market getting worse if the Witch gets elected...

:Insert frustrated SCREAM here:

Bottom line, it pays more than Unemployment, I won't depleat my savings anymore and it opens doors to bigger and better things-I hope  ???
He who dares wins.  SAS

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Going back to work
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »
It's your fault, it must be.  You're doing something wrong.  That has to be it.  Because Odamna says the economy is growing, employment has never been better, and COLA is at only 0.3% (that's the raise us oldsters are getting in our Social Security checks for 2017).  So, it's gotta be on you!

With all this good news on the economy that must be true because the Hildabeast says it too, it can only be your fault.  Well, I guess we could lay some of the blame at the feet of Bush.  But it's mostly your fault. /sarc off.

Seriously, it's wretched to go backwards when you have earned expertise in your field by hard won experience.  And it's even worse when you have expanded upon that experience with extensive secondary education, all to make yourself more valuable--not less.

The only good thing I can say at this point is at least you have a job.  And, although it doesn't pay what you are worth, it sounds like it pays enough to cover the bills.  And a side benefit is you already know most of the guys you'll be working with.  And, there's something to be said for the less stressful aspect of it.

So, congratulations on escaping the ego depleting unemployment dole.  And good luck with the new job.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:12:10 PM »
Congrats on the "new" job Magoo.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:41:53 PM »
Thanks Rabbit & Frank.  I'll work on my attitude before I walk in on Monday and I'm sure it will be nice getting up at 4:30 instead of sleeping in until 7 or 8 (or 10  ;D).
I'm just going to keep looking forward. My son is getting married in 3 months, I have my first powerlifting meet in 5 weeks (at 45 years old-why not?), the holidays, the bloody election and all the preps that requires.  ???
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 05:55:52 AM »
You now have a REASON  to wake up in the morning.
It is good to have a purpose, even if it doesn't pay well.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:09:29 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 06:03:09 AM »
Glad you're working Magoo..

As the Rabbit already stated, the world has changed and we've gotta change with it...I'm working too, lost a bit of money and have a pathetic health plan but it's better than the alternative!

My one regret is I didn't stay in the military at least 20 years...but then I wouldn't have met my wife, had my daughter or my grand daughter so things happen for a reason I expect!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 06:46:24 AM »
All good, Magoo. Plus it's easier to get a good job when you already have "A" job, so this is the beginning of a  recovery. All the best.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 02:35:22 PM »
Up at 4:30...Hmmmmm,  that's already a positive.  You have all that extra time at the end of the day to do things you enjoy now that the stress factor is lower and a little bit of money to do it with.  I'm sure things will work out for you.

God Bless,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 05:19:55 PM »
making a little bit of money is better then making nothing.  I always try to explain that too new people in my industry.   its better to bid low to work, then to bid high and not get it.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »
its better to bid low to work, then to bid high and not get it.

As a wise old man (I think it was me) once put it, a small piece of pie is better than no pie at all. 

But then, I like pie.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk