Author Topic: Spare mag Bullet forward or back.  (Read 11176 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Spare mag Bullet forward or back.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 02:12:02 AM »
Back, becuase the only time I carry an extra mag is in my shoulder.  I grab with y index finger bullet side od rhe mag
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 04:48:53 AM »
Both with magazines and speedloaders, I had to practice grabbing them with thumb and 3rd finger leaving 'pointer' free to index them into the mag well or cylinder.    For me having the bullets forward is the easiest.

Now my question is, with a rifle, do you keep the strong side elbow up, or tucked in?   If I lower my elbow the stock tends to want to slide off my shoulder.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 06:04:39 AM »
Back, becuase the only time I carry an extra mag is in my shoulder.  I grab with y index finger bullet side od rhe mag

Whaddya' mean by shoulder?  Shoulder holster?  Strong or weak side...above beltline and under arm?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 06:11:58 AM »
This is where visualization comes in.
 Picture in your mind the movements needed to to pull mag and insert into pistol, use the method that involves the least movement, then practice it.
Hell, that's how Cullen Baker invented the "fast draw".

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 11:51:23 AM »
Whaddya' mean by shoulder?  Shoulder holster?  Strong or weak side...above beltline and under arm?

sorry, posting from my phone and deleted a sentence.   shoulder holster, 'jack ass rig" (cross draw, mags under strong side)  I use the 2 extra mags for balance for my delta or commander. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:33:20 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 10:06:15 PM »
load two magazines with dummy rounds... set up your phone or shot timer for a two beep duration of say a couple of seconds, less if you can... do a couple hundred reloads with bullets forward, and on a successive day a couple hundred with bullets rearward... keep track of the times you are over the par time of two seconds with each

I started with a single stack .45 and an 8 round mag... that is probably the last time I ever felt the bullet with my index finger... I find that bullet forward allows me to rotate the pistol at or slightly below eye level, guide the magazine into the mag well, and replace my support hand to the thumb forward position in a smooth continuous motion... I use the same motion with the AR, and give it a slight pull to make sure it is seated

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 06:52:08 AM »
Read Les' post carefully and with an open mind.  There is a reason competition carries bullet forward, and that serious self defense instructors (I've never read or heard reverse) teach bullet forward.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 08:22:30 AM »
Bullets OUT said Bidah

I saw that on a duty rig recently.   Obviously a uniformed rig.    The mags were holstered so their flat sides were perpendicular to the body.  I didn't have time to ask the officer, nor stare at his rig long enough, to discover whether bullets were out or in.   I also wonder if he shoots competition regularly.  Maybe when I see him again I'll ask.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »
Neither, I carry mine bullets out.  :o

Ok, that is my competition rig that I do that.  Although I am now used to it enough, I need to find a maker that will make a concealment rig for that too.  Right now, my CCW rig is bullets forward.  If you find it works best for you going bullets back, then carry it that way.

Bidah, I agree with  you.

I have never used "bullets out" mag holders, but after considering this thread, I tried to determine which position would be best, at least for me.

And I found the Bullet Out (bullet forward rotated 90 degrees so the bullet tip faces away from the body)  Additionally it would help if the sides of the magazine were exposed enough so that the index finger could be placed over the holder where the bullet tip was and the thumb and 3rd finger could grip the magazine in their final position...so that the grip did not need to be shifted from the starting grip to remove the magazine and keep the index finger over the bullet tip.

I am considering trying to find a manufacture who makes or would consider making this configuration.

If you find one, Bidah, let us know...
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
tom, the index finger of the weak hand on the tip of the bullet isn't a competition rule but it is a method proven and used by the best of the best plus thousands of the best!  That being said, if a method works for you and you can reload in under 1 1/2 seconds or so go for it.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk