Author Topic: S&W Eliminated From Military Handgun Acquisition  (Read 3455 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
S&W Eliminated From Military Handgun Acquisition
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »
My stock took a hit.  Though once the knee jerk emotions die down, investors will realize that S&W Holding Corp is still going to be a very profitable concern.  Just not with the DOJ.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/24/breaking-smith-wesson-eliminated-us-armys-modular-handgun-system/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2016-09-27&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

I think it was one of the Joint Chief's that said this whole thing is ridiculous.  Have a military team figure out what's important and then just go down to the store and buy them.   This isn't going to advance technology any, like say funding a stealth fighter.   Handgun technology is pretty mature and isn't going to change a whole lot.   

Do you want a SA, a SA/DA or a striker fired?   How modular do you really need to be?   The P320 has an appeal, but do you really need it?   Does the gun really work and will it hold up?

I really think the M&P is a much better gun than the Glock, but if I had the authority, I'd say just get the best price you can from Glock and go with it.  9mm G17s for everybody.  Special forces can get a .45 if they want.    End of drama.  End of story.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: S&W Eliminated From Military Handgun Acquisition
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »
To me anyway, Smith & Wesson auto pistols are over engineered. Too many small parts. Yes, it was far worse with the 1006 series of Stainless autos, than today with the M&P. But they're still more complicated than they need to be. Compare any of them to a Glock with only 34 parts total, and I can see why they were eliminated.

As Mikhail Kalashnikov so eloquently said.... "All that is complex is not useful. And all that is useful is simple".

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
To me anyway, Smith & Wesson auto pistols are over engineered. Too many small parts. Yes, it was far worse with the 1006 series of Stainless autos, than today with the M&P. But they're still more complicated than they need to be. Compare any of them to a Glock with only 34 parts total, and I can see why they were eliminated.

As Mikhail Kalashnikov so eloquently said.... "All that is complex is not useful. And all that is useful is simple".
glocks lie about thier part count.  They consider thier spring asymbles as on part when they are 3..

Btw if you look into the ak history that had some real growing pains with stampings.  Thats why for about 10 years they were milled form a 15# hunk of steel to just under 2.  It took them almost 15 years to get it too work right.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:03:21 PM »
glocks lie about thier part count.  They consider thier spring asymbles as on part when they are 3.

They, like most manufacturers, go by part numbers. The Glock recoil spring assembly, (again like most), are sold under a single part number. It counts as one part, because that is the way the unit is sold and installed in the weapon.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »
are you on hilarys campaign?

rather its 1 part number or not  its still 3 parts.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:33:56 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 02:18:52 PM »
No matter how you add it up, a Glock still has fewer parts.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »
So, yes S&W Holding took a hit, but investors started wising up today.    Up 2.98%

Reuter's story on stock picking based on Trump winning says:

Trump's endorsement by the National Rifle Association also should be good for gunmakers(sic) like Smith & Wesson if he is elected.

However, I'd figure there'd be a real spike in gun sales if Hillary wins.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »
Fear buying like under Obama, makes a Hillary win much better for gun and ammo companies.
For a while at least.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk